Quantcast
I put a Beretta Jaguar on layaway. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 24, 2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Orion8472

I put a Beretta Jaguar on layaway.

Yep, I found a Beretta Jaguar at a local gunshop and put it on layaway after looking it over. Now, of course, I can't truly know it's mechanical status until I get it out and take it to the range, but it seems to be good to go. Not at all prestine. Has some few chips out of the black on the aluminum frame, and on the front part of the handguard, looks like the black was worn down.

The barrel is the LONG one, but looked pretty good down the bore. Action seemed to be smooth and pretty easy to operate. Grips are the brown plastic. Safety is the "cross bar" type. Metal has some bluing worn on it, but it doesn't seem to have any noticeable dings or scratches. Trigger is very nice feeling!

Only issue thus far is that someone messed up the magazine follower and now it won't hold open with the magazine empty and inserted. I might be able to put a fix on that myself.

I really like how it breaks down. Very simple and rather like a centerfire pistol. Most 22lr pistols I know have fixed [into the frame] barrels. The gun feels good in the hand. Glad to have it in layaway. Not sure if I got it for a good price or not [$360], but because I rarely see them, I'm good with that.

Will post pics whenever I pay it off.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Mike OTDP

That's not a bad price these days. The Berettas are undervalued, compared to the Walther PP series guns in .22LR.
Old July 24, 2014, 09:58 AM   #3
usp9

That's a good price. I paid more for my 70s a while back and was happy to find the gun and pay that amount. Harder and harder to find. Speaking of hard to find... mags are scarce. I had to buy a couple extras from a company in Italy, (thank you internet inventer Al Gore). If you are inclined to do so; you may be able to find the short barrel.

These are really nice 22s. Fun and reliable. Sights are tiny, but at least the gun points well. Enjoy your new Beretta.

I wish I could find the flat grip panel sans the thumb rest. Here's my baby

"Go Hokies"

Last edited by usp9; July 24, 2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Orion8472

Nice, ups9!! Yours is in nice shape! Is your slide easy to manipulate?

Oh, forgot to add that they did research on it [with a Beretta guy] and figured it to be made in the mid 60's.

I did a search on gunbroker for magazines and the only one listed was a 15 rounder, but not sure I'm interested in that type of magazine. I'd like to find one more, though, having an unmolested magazine follower. I'd also like to find a short barrel to switch out from time to time. But I like the . . . . . quirkiness . . . . of the extra long barrel. :-)

But I really like the design of these guns. Very sleek!
Old July 24, 2014, 10:45 AM   #5
jonnyc

I took a look at that 15 rnd. mag and it just doesn't look right. Keep your eyes open and you can find mags in the $40-50 range. The short barrel will probably run you between $100-150.
Old July 24, 2014, 10:58 AM   #6
bannockburn

usp9

Check Midway for flat grips from Vintage Gun Grips for $23.95.

Orion8472

Even though the one you put on layaway may be a little worse for wear cosmetically speaking, I have found most similar Beretta models check out fine mechanically, are well built, and are very reliable. Another member on here, (I think it was Dave Markowitz), had a thread not too long ago on possible alternative mags that would work in the Beretta .22s.
Old July 24, 2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Orion8472

bannockburn, I will give it a shot searching for that thread. Thanks!

I certainly hope the gun I'm buying will be as reliable as you suggest. It will be an alternative to shooting my only other semi-auto 22lr pistol, my custom Ruger Mark II. The Beretta is far . . . FAR . . . more easy to take down for cleaning!!!

I may consider having my gunsmith friend re-finish the frame, and then have the metal reblued, . . . but I'm uncertain whether I'll do that.
Old July 24, 2014, 11:47 AM   #8
bannockburn

I have the more compact Model 70S and it was been extremely reliable with just about every different brand of rimfire ammo I have used in it. And while it would not be thought of as a target pistol, with the right ammo, it does just fine in terms of accuracy as well. The only thing I had done to my gun was I had it hard chrome plated by Ron Mahovsky at Metalife. Incredibly tough finish with virtually no signs of wear to it.
Old July 24, 2014, 12:03 PM   #9
Dave Markowitz

Very cool, OP. I got a Beretta Model 71 Jaguar a little while ago and it's become one of my favorite pistols.

Original mags are unobtanium. I bought a Bersa 644 mag off eBay and it works in my gun with no modifications.
Old July 24, 2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Orion8472

Dave, thanks for the tip! I'll attempt to find one of those!
Old July 24, 2014, 03:28 PM   #11
Orion8472

Found a Bersa 644 magazine. Thanks again for the info, Dave!
Old July 24, 2014, 04:23 PM   #12
aarondhgraham

Oh man,,,

Oh man,,,

Dem Eye-Tallyun folks sure knew how to make sexy pistols.

When you shoot that,,,
You should be wearing a tuxedo.

Color me envious.

Aarond

Old July 25, 2014, 06:53 AM   #13
bannockburn

This was my solution to having an extra mag for my Model 70S. The longer mag came from a Model 101 and I added the plastic filler piece from another Beretta mag that was for a .32 target gun. Looks okay, works fine, and gives me a couple more rounds versus the original mag.

Old July 25, 2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Orion8472

Looks like it works well. Doesn't stick down too far either. Oh, and nice looking gun!

I ended up getting two of the Bersa 644 magazines. Now, I have only to wait until I get it out of layaway.

I'm thinking probably about a month or two. Or use money from savings and get it tomorrow!
Old July 25, 2014, 09:47 AM   #15
bannockburn

Orion8472

Thanks, that hard chrome finish really looks great and protects like a suit of armor. I had some problems with the original blued finish and Beretta acknowledged that this was a problem with some of them. So they reblued it under warranty but within a short while the problem reoccurred. I looked at the cost of getting the gun reblued again when I came across an article in one of my gun magazines about Metalife. At the time it was actually cheaper to get it hard chromed than to have it reblued. So I sent it off to Ron Mahovsky and have been extremely pleased with it ever since.
Old July 25, 2014, 10:34 AM   #16
Orion8472

I'm going to assume that there aren't other colors he does. I like the idea of a "suit of armour", though.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:29 AM   #17
jonnyc

Not all Bersa 644 mags work in all Beretta 71s. Be prepared to do a bit of sanding and/or fiddling. I have two 644 mags that I use at the range for my 4 Model 71s. Some fit better than others, and they only seem to feed 100% with 9 rounds loaded.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:53 AM   #18
Orion8472

Oh. . . . great. Well, thanks for the headsup.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:19 PM   #19
amd6547

The two Bersa mags I tried in my 71 had the mag catch slot a bit too high. I had to push them up to get any function.
I ordered two Beretta mags from Brignoli in Italy. With these, function is perfect in all respects. The 71 is one of the best 22 pistols of all time, and one of the few with a combat pedigree.
I shot it again last week...it was making hits at ranges most wouldn't consider.
Mine has the six inch barrel. While I would like to have the short barrel, the longer barrel shoots great, adds velocity, and the whole pistol is still pretty compact.
Old July 25, 2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Orion8472

Looks like the magazines I'm getting will take some fitting then. I was going to get two of them, but will just get one [per the auction I won].
Old July 26, 2014, 08:52 AM   #21
CornCod

Man, those Italians make pretty guns. They never leave their esthetic principals behind.
Old July 30, 2014, 07:35 PM   #22
brentb636

The 70 Series Beretta's are the sexiest pistols alive, I think. Two of my '71's came from SOG, $299 each with faux suppressors attached. Taking the suppressors off was nerve-wracking , but the pistols are great !

Old July 30, 2014, 10:35 PM   #23
Orion8472

^ Dang, son!
Old July 31, 2014, 02:06 AM   #24
Gordon

Are they all .22?
Though we never leave dry land,
All the goblins, I've forgot 'em,
I buried them in the sand
So give me two 1911s,
one for each hand.
Old July 31, 2014, 06:44 AM   #25
bannockburn

brentb636

So that's were all the Model 70s have been hiding! Very nice collection you have there.