Quantcast
Which Chain Store Do You Prefer for Gun Purchases? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Social Situations > General Gun Discussions

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

View Poll Results: Which Chain Do You Prefer for Guns and Supplies?
Academy Sports + Outdoors 25 17.36%
Bass Pro Shops 4 2.78%
Cabela's 56 38.89%
Dick's Sporting Goods 3 2.08%
Gander Mountain 5 3.47%
The Sportsman's Guide 4 2.78%
Sportsmans Warehouse 21 14.58%
Wal*Mart 26 18.06%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 25, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Kynoch

Which Chain Store Do You Prefer for Gun Purchases?

If you could have any one of these national chain stores close to your own home, which would you choose for some of your firearms and accessories purchases? Please add your own favorite if it's not on the list.

Last edited by Kynoch; July 25, 2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old July 25, 2014, 08:50 PM   #2
lxd55

Wow there is not enough options.

9. none of these above.

I prefer to use my money in my local stores, they stay in business and I do not have to drive 20 miles to stand in sportsmart.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:05 PM   #3
Scooter22

Herb Philipsons Army/Navy. Then Dicks and Gander/Bass Pro if they have a very good sale. Herbs mainly has hunting/fishing/camping. Great small chain.

http://www.herbphilipsons.com/
Old July 25, 2014, 09:17 PM   #4
WV_Gunner

If anything Cabella's due to their big selection. But my favorite gun store is a little place in St. Albans, I honestly can't remember the name but its the best store around.
Old July 25, 2014, 09:17 PM   #5
Jason248

Fleet farm
Old July 25, 2014, 10:01 PM   #6
zoom6zoom

I think the last time I bought a gun from a chain store was from Oklahoma Tire & Supply back in the early 80's. I prefer to deal with locals.
Old July 25, 2014, 10:04 PM   #7
oneounceload

9. None of the above. All are either too overpriced or under stocked with what I look for

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old July 25, 2014, 10:17 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Last two "chain store" gun purchases I made were at JC Penney in 1975 and Dillards in 1980.

Quote:
zoom6zoom I think the last time I bought a gun from a chain store was from Oklahoma Tire & Supply back in the early 80's. I prefer to deal with locals.
OTASCO is what we called them in Arkansas. One was next door to the Safeway where I worked after school.....I bought many a box of .22's from that Otasco.

$20 transfers ($10 for CHL, active military, police, firefighters or schoolteachers)
Old July 25, 2014, 11:25 PM   #9
22-rimfire

I don't know. I have never been in a Cabela's store. Looking forward to the opening in a few weeks of the GA store (north of Atlanta off I-75). I enjoy Sportsman Warehouse and Bass Pro. I seldom shop at Dicks', Gander Mountain, or Academy. There is a new Bass Pro opening up in Chattanooga TN (under construction) which will be closer than Nashville or Sevierville TN stores. I guess my favorite is probably Sportsman Warehouse (SW) overall for firearm related purchases. Have purchased several guns at SW. I tend to spread around my firearm purchases. Never shopped for firearms at Walmart.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:26 PM   #10
vamo

Cabelas for most things. They seem to have the best prices of the dedicated sporting goods stores. Walmart tends to have better prices, but a limited shooting section in comparison.
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-C.S. Lewis
Old July 25, 2014, 11:28 PM   #11
Steel Horse Rider

9. None of the above.
Old July 25, 2014, 11:56 PM   #12
19-3Ben

I have very limited experience only having been in a Gander Mountain (the one in Middletown NY) and Cabelas in East Hartford CT.

Was never tempted to buy a gun in either store. So.... I guess I'll go with Cabelas because I do occasionally buy ammo or accessories there. But even then, i really prefer my LGS and probably spend $5-10 in my LGS for every dollar I spend in Cabelas.
Old July 26, 2014, 12:09 AM   #13
Robert

OK, any more bickering and this is done.

Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude.

When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home.- Chief Tecumseh
Old July 26, 2014, 12:21 AM   #14
Onward Allusion

I generally do not shop at brick and mortar shops for my guns. The occasions where I did buy from a store, I shop at smaller local stores and not big boxes. I don't like to shop at big box stores for equipment related to: shooting, cycling, exercise, & other hobbies. The prices may be better at big boxes, but the knowledge is not present. Probably 90% of my toys were purchase online.

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Old July 26, 2014, 12:34 AM   #15
Dain Bramage

Out of the chains listed, I have only bought guns from Cabela's. Their size and buying power offers some advantages.

When I was looking for a CZ452, toward the end of new availability for those rifles, Cabela's was able to search all their stores and supply chain. They found the rifle I was looking for, shipped it to my local store, where I was able to buy it. They didn't charge me any shipping or transfer fees for the effort.
Old July 26, 2014, 12:56 AM   #16
Twiki357

I voted Cabela’s, but only because it’s the only one I’ve actually transacted any business with. A Dick’s opened a store about a mile from me about six months ago. Walked in, looked around and walked out. The only national chain I’ve ever bought a firearm from was Big 5 back in the 1960s.
Old July 26, 2014, 01:05 AM   #17
mastergunner

Shop around for my reloading and other supplies but for gun purchases generally local shops or on the military base at Ft. Hood, Tx. their prices pretty well match the big chain stores but with no tax.
Old July 26, 2014, 01:08 AM   #18
IBEWBULL

Cabela's since I have their Visa card.

The Kiber my wife has cost about $180 after using Cabela's points.

But I really don't like big chain stores.
Old July 26, 2014, 02:43 AM   #19
KansasSasquatch

The only Academy I know of around here opened not too long ago. I haven't been there yet.

There's 2 Bass Pro Shops within a reasonable difference, the one I've been in didn't impress me much firearms wise, but they did stock a few brands of firearms that I typically don't see at Cabelas unless Cabelas has a used model they've taken in. Bass Pro's reloading section was a bit better than Cabelas in some aspects but not worth the further drive for me.

The local Dick's never carried anything I'd call good quality years ago when I would go in there, haven't been back in 7-8 years and don't think I ever will.

I don't go into a Wal Mart too often but the ones I do shop at from time to time don't carry firearms, just limited selections of ammo. Back when the Wal Marts close to me did carry firearms I received a Remington 870 20ga for my 13th birthday, that's been 16+ years. Some in my area still carry them, but they're the furthest away (30+ miles) and not worth the drive.

Gander, Sportman's Guide, and Sportman's Warehouse may as well not exist for me, don't think there's any within a 50+ mile radius.

I prefer Cabela's. It's close. Great selection on new and used. More calibers, brands, types, and quantities of ammo than any local gun shop around here has ever thought about carrying. Prices aren't always great but they're typically reasonable. I can always find the firearm I'm looking for at an LGS cheaper, but I might have to visit 5 shops to find the lower price, and with the price of gas these days....Their guys at the gun counter aren't always the most knowledgable, but I'm okay with that. When I want a new firearm I typically know exactly what I want, and if I dont, well Al Gore invented the Internet so I can find out what I want to know. I've never had a Cabela's employee treat with with anything less than a great deal of respect either. I can't say that about some of my local gun shops. There's one LGS that I've spent what I consider a good bit of money at, usually because they had a good price on a firearm. But every time I go in there these days the employees act like I'm burdening them. The couple local shops that always treat EVERY customer right, well they seem to run out of stock all the time.
Old July 26, 2014, 05:20 AM   #20
Kynoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansasSasquatch View Post
The only Academy I know of around here opened not too long ago. I haven't been there yet.

There's 2 Bass Pro Shops within a reasonable difference, the one I've been in didn't impress me much firearms wise, but they did stock a few brands of firearms that I typically don't see at Cabelas unless Cabelas has a used model they've taken in. Bass Pro's reloading section was a bit better than Cabelas in some aspects but not worth the further drive for me.

The local Dick's never carried anything I'd call good quality years ago when I would go in there, haven't been back in 7-8 years and don't think I ever will.

I don't go into a Wal Mart too often but the ones I do shop at from time to time don't carry firearms, just limited selections of ammo. Back when the Wal Marts close to me did carry firearms I received a Remington 870 20ga for my 13th birthday, that's been 16+ years. Some in my area still carry them, but they're the furthest away (30+ miles) and not worth the drive.

Gander, Sportman's Guide, and Sportman's Warehouse may as well not exist for me, don't think there's any within a 50+ mile radius.

I prefer Cabela's. It's close. Great selection on new and used. More calibers, brands, types, and quantities of ammo than any local gun shop around here has ever thought about carrying. Prices aren't always great but they're typically reasonable. I can always find the firearm I'm looking for at an LGS cheaper, but I might have to visit 5 shops to find the lower price, and with the price of gas these days....Their guys at the gun counter aren't always the most knowledgable, but I'm okay with that. When I want a new firearm I typically know exactly what I want, and if I dont, well Al Gore invented the Internet so I can find out what I want to know. I've never had a Cabela's employee treat with with anything less than a great deal of respect either. I can't say that about some of my local gun shops. There's one LGS that I've spent what I consider a good bit of money at, usually because they had a good price on a firearm. But every time I go in there these days the employees act like I'm burdening them. The couple local shops that always treat EVERY customer right, well they seem to run out of stock all the time.
Great input, thanks!
Old July 26, 2014, 05:42 AM   #21
Bobson

I frequent Cabela's far more than any other gun shop, and indeed I prefer big-box stores like Cabela's over small "mom and pop" retailers. Every small/local gun shop I've ever been in, the folks behind the counter made me feel like I was inconveniencing them by being there and asking questions. I'm not saying that was intentional - maybe it wasn't the case at all; but it is what I perceived. Either way, that's yet to happen at Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse.

Cabela's has always gotten my money when it comes to fishing stuff, ammo, gun accessories, etc. Sportsman's Warehouse has always gotten my money on gun purchases, knives, and everything related to archery. I've probably spent more, dollar for dollar, at Sportsman's Warehouse. Overall, I'd rather give Sportsman's Warehouse my money, but I'd rather wander around in Cabela's.

"As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." - Joshua 24:15

Last edited by Bobson; July 26, 2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old July 26, 2014, 01:48 PM   #22
The Lone Haranguer

I'd go with Cabela's for the large selection. Some people like to complain about their prices, but this is overblown. They often have sales, will price-match local stores and periodically offer discounts when using the Cabela's Visa card. Sportsman's Warehouse is OK. Dick's and Wal-Mart don't sell handguns. Bass Pro is priced too high and won't allow you to try triggers - they all have locks on them. Gander Mountain is high-priced. Academy has good prices, but mediocre selection, and also lock their triggers. Only Dick's and Wal-Mart are local to me; Academy is 100 miles away in Knoxville and Bass Pro 70 miles in Sevierville. Bass Pro and Cabela's have stores announced but not yet built in Bristol, TN and Bristol, VA respectively.
Old July 26, 2014, 02:02 PM   #23
fletcher

I've only bought from two on this list - Walmart and Cabela's. Experience at the first was typical Wal-Mart, experience at the latter was great. Staff at Cabela's were quick to offer assistance and get what I was looking for.
Old July 26, 2014, 02:40 PM   #24
scramasax

I'm adding my vote for 9. none of the above.

Local GS and internet for the unusual things I am interested in.
Old July 26, 2014, 04:24 PM   #25
Kynoch

I am amazed that one chain (Cabela's or not) has such a lead over the others. I also sort of expected Bass Pro to do better.

Very interesting input.