Quantcast
Carving - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old February 5, 2015, 11:57 PM   #1
blindhari

Carving

I carve and give away canes to vets. I am eliminating firearms as our children live in an anti state and could not inherit without a lot of hassle. Normally I use palm carvers and scandinavium knives. I am looking for a pocket whittler to carry. Best two I've seen so far are Oar Carver and Wood Carvers supply Pocket Whittler. Carbon steel is a must as is a folder. I am asking if anyone has experience with either or both of these pocket knives. Any advice will be appreciated. If you can stop by in person I make pretty good coffee and my wife makes great chocolate chip cookies.

blindhari

ps Any sources of inexpensive wood would also be appreciated
Old February 6, 2015, 12:16 AM   #2
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Quote:
If you can stop by in person I make pretty good coffee
I would love too.
But I have no idea where to stop by???

How about you put your general area of the country or state in the 'User Options' so it shows under your name in your sig?
<<<<<<< See mine.

Failing that, post up some pictures of your carving!

rc
Old February 6, 2015, 01:11 AM   #3
Valkman

Yep, tell us where you are! If you're near Vegas let me know!
Old February 6, 2015, 01:59 AM   #4
blindhari

Gentelmen,
I am 5000' up in the air in Prescott Valley, Az, high desert plateau terrain. 20 gun stores within 25 miles, Vets wearing colors everywhere. There is a VA Hospital in Prescott and over the years a local business man has more or less kept track of who needs help walking. I am retired and up to now have set out in the garage with a piece of Diamond Willow until I knew what to take off and what to leave on to make a cane or staff. I have used latigo, leather wrap, gem stones, studs, inset coins or carving for decoration. The only ultimate considerations were balance, heft, strength and that it could be carried with pride when I was finished. My biggest problem is that in the last 2 years my source of Diamond Willow has died and the price per stick has been multiplied by 9. I am looking at cedar, juniper, manzanita or maybe oak that I can scrounge locally. The pocket knife is to take along to try wood I find, at home I use palm carvers due to trigger finger lock up with small knives like stockman style.

blindhari

I also make and give away slingshots but those I don't carve
Old February 6, 2015, 08:18 AM   #5
BullRunBear

Can't comment on the two you mentioned but I've been impressed with the Flexcut Whittlin Jack. Carbon steel blades, comes razor sharp, and 2 blade sizes. It's pretty light weight. The blades, at least on mine, are quite stiff to open or close but since it isn't a lock back design, I consider that stiffness to be safer. I have big hands and find it much more comfortable to use than a regular stockman style pocket knife. If it matters, the blade shape lets you do some junior grade chip carving.

The one cane I made was many years ago from a peach tree branch. I shaped it with hand tools but didn't carve it. Any chance that local fruit orchards (if any) might have trimmed off branches to give away? Just a thought.

Good luck with the search and please let us know what you decide on.

Jeff

PS: Sorry we can't stop by for the coffee and cookies. There are a couple thousand miles and mountain ranges in between.
Old February 6, 2015, 11:19 AM   #6
ApacheCoTodd

OP, Yavapai County Fair Grounds show...

This week end. Ya going? I've got three tables with a couple-few knives you may be able to use. Nothing with as aggressive a carving tip as your noted carvers but still... Seems like you have a good "cause" there.
Todd.