Quantcast
Phenolic rod cane - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old July 17, 2014, 05:07 PM   #1
bikerdoc

Phenolic rod cane

Finally after over a year, and 3 operations, since John Shirley gave it to me, I finished this cane. Thank you John.

Phenelic rod.
I cut the handle piece at a 45 degree angle and secured it with epoxy and a 3 inch screw.
Feels good.
It has good heft and balance but is a little heavier and slower than my wood canes.
I will be training with it next week. Meanwhile I will attacking a rag bag and hanging milk jugs filled with water

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old July 17, 2014, 06:20 PM   #2
JShirley
Administrator

Looks good. How slick is it?
Old July 17, 2014, 07:02 PM   #3
bikerdoc

Smooth but grippy. Slides fine.

I only have so many heartbeats left. I am not wasting them on things that are not fun.
VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old July 17, 2014, 08:59 PM   #4
glistam

Cool! I'd be interested to see how the joint holds up.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:14 PM   #5
Drail

It needs more non slip grip, maybe a little bit of skateboard tape. I have been carrying and using a heavy hickory cane for years and I can pretty much say it is unbreakable. So far.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:45 PM   #6
JShirley
Administrator

For stick fighting, you actually want to be able to move/"drift"/slide your hands across the stick
Old July 18, 2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Sox

Love these DIY project posts. Biker, what are the dimensions on that thing? Length, diameter, and weight?

Thanks,
Dave
Old July 19, 2014, 11:52 AM   #8
Yo Mama

good looking stick!

glad you are on the mend and feeling better Doc. Take care.
Old July 19, 2014, 08:54 PM   #9
craftsman

Beautiful!!! Nice work. For the hand grip - go to a bicycle store - either a rubber handlebar grip (like for a hybrid bike), or tape for the drop (racing style) handlebars. If you use handlebar tape, use a piece of masking tape to secure it just beyond the 90 degree angle, and tape towards the handle, overlapping 1/2 the tape width each time. I would suggest the cloth tape, rather than the plastic.

My UWMW-PE cane is also a bit heavier than my oak sticks, but as you said, training with it will make all the difference.

Try one of the tricks I use for my pellet rifle plinking ... Take those used plastic bags from food shopping, and jam them into the milk jug. Push them in tight, use a rod (broom handle works) to squish them down as tight as you can. They can take literally dozens of shots from the .22 Benji Maurader, so they can take a nice whuppin' from a cane.
Old July 23, 2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Deltaboy

Cool job ! I like it.
Old July 31, 2014, 08:21 PM   #11
glistam

How's that handle joint holding up under impact training? At first glace I would worry about the screw and epoxy not doing the job but I've never worked with this type of material.
Old August 3, 2014, 02:39 PM   #12
bikerdoc

Still holding and intact.

Grand daughter (8) on her bike, used it pull her sister behind on a skate board. I was not amused.

VCDL, member, Curmudgeon
Old August 3, 2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Deltaboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
Still holding and intact.

Grand daughter (8) on her bike, used it pull her sister behind on a skate board. I was not amused.
Just mark it up as real world stress testing.