Quantcast
New Mora Trenchknife (sort of) - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Non-Firearm Weapons

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old October 22, 2014, 09:47 AM   #1
MikeJackmin

New Mora Trenchknife (sort of)

http://www.moraofsweden.se/food/slaktkniv-144

I ain't givin' to any charity that calls it a "tragedy".
I'm only givin' to charities that call it an "attack".
Old October 22, 2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Vonderek

They're calling it a butcher knife? Looks pretty useless for that function.
Old October 22, 2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Sam1911

I'm trying to think of what you'd use that for in butchering. I guess maybe if you're slaughtering pigs and are stabbing for the jugular.

The food-service style white handle sure looks incongruous with that blade!

"...with liberty and justice for all." (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states.)
-D. Stanhope

Sights Practical Shooters -- IDPA

My Knife Showroom
Old October 22, 2014, 11:06 AM   #4
bannockburn

Interesting but not sure what the guard adds to the functional design of a butcher knife. Actually they should color the handle and guard OD green or camo and they'll sell a million of them.
Old October 22, 2014, 11:43 AM   #5
HiWayMan

As a sticking knife...yes. For much else....no. As a wannabe trench knife....krylon it up...why not.

"I'm here to regulate funkiness." - James Gandolfini in The Mexican

"You got to know when to shoot them, know when to beat them, know when to walk away and know when to run." You never count your bullets when your out in public, there'll be time enuff for counting when the shootings done"! Sharkey - WT Forum (to the tune of The Gambler)
Old October 22, 2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Speedo66

Somebody will wrap it in rawhide.
Old October 22, 2014, 12:39 PM   #7
Shanghai McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
Somebody will wrap it in rawhide.
Heck, para cord would work too...
Old October 22, 2014, 07:44 PM   #8
ApacheCoTodd

I wonder if that isn't some oddball concession to a European dirk/dagger type of law?

Odd knife all around.
Old October 22, 2014, 09:12 PM   #9
rcmodel
Contributing Member

It is a slaughter house 'Sticker' used to kill animals for meat processing.

They have been made for century's both here and abroad.
http://merchant.auctivacommerce.com/...-P2778595.aspx

They were originally used to quickly kill and bleed out slaughter animals.
They were adopted as fighting knives during WWI & WWII.
(Called pig Stickers, but used on cows, hogs, sheep, & goats too.)

The object was a quick thrust to the cartridge artery in the neck as the animal passed through the chute onto the slaughter house floor for butchering & processing into meat.

Although bolt-guns are now more commonly use to kill slaughter animals humanly, the 'Sticker' is still probably used to quickly bleed them our while being hung up for butchering.

I think the white D-guard handle on this latest one is in keeping with modern safety rules so the stickers blood soaked hand doesn't slip off and cut his fingers off during the 'stick' after 'stick' slaughter house use all day.

The white handle is so they can tell if it is clean & reasonably sanitary for sharpening, storage, and 'sticking' animals again all day the next day.

In short, it is what it is, a 'Sticking knife' used in slaughter houses to quickly bleed out four footed animals for meat processing.

And most likely a damn good one if it says Sweden on it.

rc
Old October 22, 2014, 10:50 PM   #10
ApacheCoTodd

Huh! ^^^^^

All these years and I never made the "pig sticker" connection in a commercial slaughter tool. Go figure.

Makes even more sense in the OP Mora case (NPI) as it would be very secure in a slippery and maybe gloved hand.

I wonder - again - are these maybe for an individual observing Kosher or Halal slaughter rituals?