Quantcast
Interesting old movie with interesting arms - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 1, 2014, 03:13 AM   #1
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
Interesting old movie with interesting arms

The Untamed, 1955, on the Voortrekkers in South Africa. Supposely to cover a several decades long period starting in 1847. There is scene where a circled wagon train is attacked by Zulus. The Zulu are defeated using muzzle loading rifles and Boer horseman, much like the true life events that occurred at Blood River in 1838. The mounted Boer appear to have cross draw holsters on their left hips, but I cant tell what pistols/revolvers they are actually carrying, if any for those scenes. Later in the movie you see some Colt revolvers.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Crawdad1

Thanks Elhombre for the heads up. I think I'm going to order that movie IF the Colts are historically correct.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:52 AM   #3
BullRunBear

Sounds interesting. I'll have to look for it.

By the way, something or someone from 1955 isn't old! I hope.

Jeff
Old August 1, 2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Crawdad1

I just bought a collection of spaghetti westerns from Amazon that have been digitally re-mastered and while not particularly good plot wise, they all use period correct firearms such as the 51" Colts. Something I can live with.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:12 AM   #5
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
Crawdaddie How about a hysterically inaccurate Colt

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Patocazador

The reason the English got massacred at Isandhlwana was their C.O. refused to properly laager the wagons. The Zulus had a field day slaughtering the Brits on open ground.

Boers always formed a laager every evening when traveling.

Bob
Old August 1, 2014, 10:38 AM   #7
elhombreconnonombre

Pulliene was a poor battlefield commander, trying to defend open ground, Chelmsford divided his forces, and Durnford did not push his senior rank to take command., many errors.

Old August 1, 2014, 11:05 AM   #8
Crawdad1

Quote:
How about a hysterically inaccurate Colt
Elhombre, some of these movies do side on the side of hysterical not historical.
Old August 1, 2014, 12:48 PM   #9
Jim K

They sure didn't have 1851 Colts in 1838 or even 1847. And they would almost certainly not have had any revolvers in 1838. They might have had pepperbox pistols, but more likely had a brace of muzzle loading pistols, maybe flintlock, as percussion was still fairly new in 1838. (Many people, especially in remote areas, could not rely on getting percussion caps and stuck to flintlocks for many years after percussion guns were the norm elsewhere.)

Jim
Old August 1, 2014, 01:16 PM   #10
Cooldill

Care to tell us what that is? I love Spaghetti Westerns!
Old August 1, 2014, 10:19 PM   #11
Iron Sight

Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Untamed-Tyrone.../dp/B000NDI4VQ
Old August 5, 2014, 01:12 PM   #12
whughett

"(Many people, especially in remote areas, could not rely on getting percussion caps and stuck to flintlocks for many years after percussion guns were the norm elsewhere."

2014: In some remote parts of the USA A lot of people, no longer able to rely on an adequate supply of percussion caps are going back to flint locks............
Rambo III
Old August 5, 2014, 06:59 PM   #13
4v50 Gary

Denny Reitz covered a lot of that in his second book. Those guys kept going into the bush and kept going.

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD2Y3mw8cu4

OK found it!
Old August 5, 2014, 11:39 PM   #14
RonC

A little mixed eras

I just returned from South Africa yesterday, my 15th working trip there. In my current fatigued state, I needed something like Untamed for entertainment.
It seems the movie mixed some South African eras. The "Commando" that was referred to in the movie did not appear until the Anglo-Boer war. The hats the "Commando" wore were more suited for the Boer War period some 70 years down the road.
The women's clothing, particularly Susan Hayward's, were a real laugh. The Vortrekkers followed the very strict Calvinist belief system that resulted in the Dutch Reformed Church. As one person told me in POtchefstroom, SA, a conservative Afrikaner area, the biggest concern his theological university administration had in the 1970s was that someone, somehow, somewhere, someway was actually having a good time. The low cut dresses would never be seen in that group of people. They were VERY conservative in dress and action.
To me, it was as others have said, a Cowboys versus Indians movie with Dutch and Zulus substituting.
Still, it was fun for a fatigued mind and body.
Ron

Last edited by RonC; August 6, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
Old August 6, 2014, 12:01 AM   #15
4v50 Gary

My screen is small so I couldn't tell if one of those rifles was a trapdoor springfield. Also noticed the MK IV Webleys which didn't come out until much much later.
Old August 14, 2014, 05:18 PM   #16
clang

The movie is free on You Tube
Old August 14, 2014, 09:41 PM   #17
Iron Sight

"The movie is free on You Tube"

Thanks Clang!
Old August 26, 2014, 08:27 AM   #18
Crawdad1

I was watching Major Dundee with Charlton Heston and Richard Harris, James Coburn the other day and they were all using the 1860 Richards-Mason conversion revolver. Great movie but it was set in the War Between the States so a little premature.

http://www.johnjhayeshistoricalcolle...l.asp?prod=n45