Quantcast
Uberti 1861 Navy arrived but....... - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 1, 2014, 10:10 AM   #1
jgh4445

Uberti 1861 Navy arrived but.......

......the large screw used for attaching a shoulder stock on is missing on the left side. It does appear to be unfired except for a good bit of handling and turning the cylinder which left a bit more than the "slight turn marks" as described on Gun broker. As I looked again at the GB add, I was able to save the pictures of the left side in a different format and zoom in on it. Sure enough, the screw was missing when it was put on gun broker. I missed it when I looked at the pictures in normal mode. The seller said he never noticed it either. Where can I get another of these screws? When you cock it, you can see what I guess is the bottom of the hammer moving or maybe the bolt/hand moving thru the hole where the screw should be. Will it hurt to shoot it like this?
Old August 1, 2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Crawdad1

Right here boss!!!

Part number 42 it looks like;

http://www.taylorsfirearms.com/parts...1861-navy.html

I found that Taylors is more complete with their parts sets, others may have it also.
Old August 1, 2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Won't hurt to shoot it without the screw.
Old August 1, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4
jgh4445

Thanks guys. Ordered. Ridiculous, $4 part, $3 shipping!
Old August 1, 2014, 03:07 PM   #5
StrawHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh4445 View Post
Thanks guys. Ordered. Ridiculous, $4 part, $3 shipping!
I would rather see the part for $7 and free shipping. 6 of one...

I don't know all the answers but I have made most of the mistakes and lived to tell about them.

www.NoonSharpening.com
Old August 1, 2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Malamute

I wish a small filler screw was available to plug the stock stud holes. The stud on the right side was annoying to me, my trigger finger wanted to use that space. I just took it out and ignored the hole.

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old August 1, 2014, 07:10 PM   #7
dickydalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
I wish a small filler screw was available to plug the stock stud holes. The stud on the right side was annoying to me, my trigger finger wanted to use that space. I just took it out and ignored the hole.
I agree. Those 2 screws are a PITA.
Old August 1, 2014, 09:40 PM   #8
Gaucho Gringo

An allen head cap screw would work fine IMO. Fill the allen socket with non hardening colored putty. Personally the allen screw would be enough.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 3-1858 NMA Remingtons(2-44 1-36), 2-1851 Navies, 31 Baby Dragoon 4", 12 ga H&R, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, NAA 22 black powder, HP C9 9mm, IJ top break 32 S&W short, H&R 1904 32 S&W, CZ-50 32acp
Old August 1, 2014, 10:19 PM   #9
Malamute

Good thinking, you jogged my memory. I made a filler screw for the saddle ring hole on my Browning 1886 carbine with one, I just filed the opposite end tip flat and hand cut a regular screwdriver slot in it. That was about 20-ish years ago,..... I still recall the very cute girl that helped me, she let me bring my rifle into the bolt store to find the correct size.

"...always endeavour to raise your own standards."
Arfin Greebly

Isn't it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?

Last edited by Malamute; August 1, 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old August 1, 2014, 10:28 PM   #10
mykeal

Quote:
Ridiculous, $4 part, $3 shipping!
Had a friend whose father owned an auto repair shop. Fellow came in one day and asked for a tuneup. Friend's dad completed the work and gave the bill to the customer, who loudly complained about the cost. In particular he said the $1.50 per spark plug was way too much - the shop down the street only charged 75 cents. Friend's dad asked, "Why didn't you have him do the work, then?" Customer replied, "He was out of spark plugs." Friend's dad: "Well, that explains it. I charge just 75 cents each when I'm out of them also."
Old August 1, 2014, 11:02 PM   #11
jgh4445

We're talking about a screw here folks! Figuratively and literally. This is a part that can be taped to half an index card and put in an envelope and mailed like a letter! Now, this was Taylors. If I had just ordered online the shipping would have been 6 or 6.50 I forget which. I called them to ask why they could not just mail it like a letter and was told it had something to do with the way that the post office ran the mail thru on a conveyor belt and that the screw would mess up the operation. Yeah, RIGHT. They finally agreed to put it in a padded envelope for the $3. Geeeez. Had I not called, they would have charged my card on the spot and sent it via the higher rate of shipping.
Old August 2, 2014, 11:53 AM   #12
Willie Sutton

^^

And since it's "just a screw" you could have gone to Fastenal and grabbed one for about 3 cents too... or gone into any Ace hardware store and gotten one out of the Metric hardware drawers yourself. Heat it with a torch to red and dip in old motor oil a few times to blue it and been done with it.

Or you could spend $7.00... because someone else did all of that for you...

Willie

Old August 2, 2014, 12:02 PM   #13
Crawdad1

Will's got a point there. I was going to suggest you buy a few other spare parts such as a hand or two just in case. But I'm glad you found that screw.
Old August 2, 2014, 05:02 PM   #14
Malachi Leviticus Blue

I would suggest that the fact that Taylor's has the knowledge required, the actual inventory on hand, and was willing to take the time to talk to a customer about a $4.00 item at all & then make special shipping arrangements that they earned there $7.00 more than once. There is no way they made even a penny profit on that transaction. Just top shelf customer service that you don't see every day any more. Let's be honest, the whole scenario was more charity on Taylor's part than anything. A gracious Thank You would be appropriate.
Old August 2, 2014, 06:55 PM   #15
Crawdad1

I know, try finding that screw 40 years ago. Things sure have changed for the better.

Last edited by Crawdad1; August 2, 2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:04 PM   #16
BHP FAN

Taylors just got me an out of production conversion cylinder in three days. They rock....
THR Remington Club #14
NRA Life Member
''Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you...'' - Benjamin Franklin
Old August 2, 2014, 07:04 PM   #17
Noz

Take those screws out, chuck the threads into a variable speed cordless drill and turn the heads down to an round configuration. Turn them slowly agains a fine file. Heat to blue or use cold blue.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:26 AM   #18
jgh4445

I did thank them. Malachi is right..the shipping thing just hit me wrong at the time. Cannot complain about the customer service.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:32 AM   #19
jgh4445

What causes this? No half cock..

Delete this post..got it in the wrong place.

Last edited by jgh4445; August 3, 2014 at 01:15 AM.