Quantcast
Care to estimate a muzzle velocity? - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 8, 2014, 06:55 PM   #1
J-Bar

Care to estimate a muzzle velocity?

I do not own a chronograph.

Would those of you who are ballistic experts care to estimate the muzzle velocity of a 170 grain, .45 caliber bullet pushed by 10 grains of black powder from a 4 1/2 inch barrel? It makes a very nice, mild plinking load...curious about the numbers, though.

Thanks.
Old August 8, 2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Noz

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Bar View Post
I do not own a chronograph.

Would those of you who are ballistic experts care to estimate the muzzle velocity of a 170 grain, .45 caliber bullet pushed by 10 grains of black powder from a 4 1/2 inch barrel? It makes a very nice, mild plinking load...curious about the numbers, though.

Thanks.
I own one!
Old August 8, 2014, 07:58 PM   #3
WestKentucky

Poor mans chrono...shoot through a series of targets evenly spaced and use the bullet drop to calculate MV because acceleration downward is simple acceleration of gravity at 9.8 meters per second per second. I would do it by laying out 3 lines and 10 pieces of paper then spacing them out in 10 meter increments. One line would be centerline of the targets, one for target elevation and the last to level the bore.

It's a lot more difficult than simply going to a busy range and asking to shoot over a chrono.
Old August 8, 2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Skinny 1950

As a guess...550-650FPS, that is a pretty mild load for a .45Cal.
Old August 8, 2014, 11:24 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

I've got one as well.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:20 AM   #6
CANNONMAN

I would guess a bit higher, 750fps. Chrono's are cheep and lots of fun. WestKentucky gives good advice
Old August 9, 2014, 12:15 PM   #7
dickydalton

I was only getting 750 or so with a RB @ 140grains and 30grains of 3F so a 170 grain with 10 grains i'd think will be less than 500 fps out of a 4 1/2" barrel. A little over a $100 gets you a chrony.
Old August 9, 2014, 12:18 PM   #8
SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE

I would think 500 -550 fps ! Kevin
Old August 9, 2014, 12:27 PM   #9
Pulp

Here ya go J-Bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFBJZ5JFto

I was surprised I averaged 521fps. Notice I even got some flame from that little load.

For the rest of y'all, I also loaded 5 with the 10 grain and cornmeal under a 230 grain ACP bullet, then proceeded to leave those at home.

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter
Graduate of Sawyer's School of Shooting
Old August 9, 2014, 06:20 PM   #10
dickydalton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulp View Post
Here ya go J-Bar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEFBJZ5JFto

I was surprised I averaged 521fps. Notice I even got some flame from that little load.

For the rest of y'all, I also loaded 5 with the 10 grain and cornmeal under a 230 grain ACP bullet, then proceeded to leave those at home.
As I said. Add the 30 grains of bullet weight and you'd lose that 23 FPS and be under 500. Thanks for being so quick. (Meaning quick with chrony info. Not trying to be a smart a@@)

Last edited by dickydalton; August 9, 2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old August 9, 2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Pulp

I found some 150 grain and some 180 grain bullets this PM. Hopefully I can take them and the 230 grain bullets to the range tomorrow. They are all in my range bag this time.

World's Worst Cowboy Action Shooter
Graduate of Sawyer's School of Shooting

Last edited by Pulp; August 9, 2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:30 PM   #12
J-Bar

Good info, thanks for your efforts and interest!