Quantcast
How many reloads stocked up is enough?? - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Handloading and Reloading

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 5, 2014, 11:33 AM   #26
DANNY-L

I don't load up to far ahead. My main reason is because if ya sell the rifle you have ammo loaded for,and the buyer doesn't want your handloads. It's much easier to sell components than it is reloads. Besides it doesn't take but a short time to load more if needed.
Old August 5, 2014, 12:26 PM   #27
Kingcreek

I have steel shelves with 300 pound capacity per shelf. They are overloaded.

One day I realized...
that I didn't like having empty brass piling up, so I clean and prep and reload.
when I see lots of reloads on the shelves I think Yay!, I shoot do more shooting!
the result of more shooting is more empty brass piling up...
Old August 6, 2014, 04:53 PM   #28
dickttx

I shoot about 300 rounds per week about divided evenly between 45 ACP and 38 Super. Based on that I try to have 1K of each loaded. This lets me rotate my loaded rounds about every two months. Also I don't have a bunch of rounds loaded that I don't want to use anymore.
For example I recently made significant changes in both calibers. I started using coated bullets instead of lead in 38 Super and acquired 4K of small primer 45 ACP brass and am switching to all small primers. I have worked through all my lead Supers and am completely into the coated now. I have shot all my loaded large primer 45's except 300 rounds. I will probably finish those next week.
I would also rather have most of my bullets, powder, and primers available as such, rather than in loaded cartridges.
At my rate this level also gives me enough loaded rounds to carry me over if it is too hot or too cold to reload, or, as happened last year, we moved and I did not have my reloading gear available for awhile.
But it really depends on YOUR needs and how you would rather hold your inventory.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:15 PM   #29
splattergun

How many reloads stocked up is enough??
I don't know. I'll let you know when I get there.

“Thieves for their robbery have authority,
When judges steal themselves.”
Measure f. Measure, ii. 2.
Old August 6, 2014, 09:28 PM   #30
CoalTrain49

I have enough for my next range trip. I don't think I've ever had more than 3 or 4 hundred of anything loaded at one time. I do however have enough components to load 2K of everything I shoot. I'll load more if I ever see the Taliban running down my road.
Old August 7, 2014, 12:08 PM   #31
Uncle Richard

In the words of my late Uncle Richard….”you can never have too much ammo.”

"Hey nephew, lets go bust some caps!".....and...."You can never have to much ammunition.".... - Uncle Richard's (02/09/28 - 10/11/01) famous quotes
Old August 7, 2014, 12:28 PM   #32
gahunter12

Quote:
I'll load more if I ever see the Taliban running down my road.
It will be too late then! Load now so you will be ready!
Old August 7, 2014, 05:50 PM   #33
km101

There is never enough! I stock around 2K in all my handgun calibers and the same in .223 and .308. In hunting rifle calibers I keep several hundred. It varies by rifle and the intended use.

In my opinion, you cannot have too much.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:09 PM   #34
jeeptim

1 is to many and 10, 000 is never enough.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:33 PM   #35
Zeke/PA

I keep quite a bit of pistol reloads on hand but only about 30 or 40 rounds each for my hunting rifles. I have quite a few 7.62 x 39 Wolf rounds for my AK's as I bought a ton when the price of the same was not outrageous.
Old August 9, 2014, 09:20 AM   #36
MikeS.

I bought a Dillon 550b early last year, fortunately I had been buying components and putting them aside the previous two or three years.

So now I have 1,000 of 44 Magnum, 3,000 of .357 magnum, over a 1,000 of 10mm and .45acp each. So I've stopped reloading for now. I'm back to buying components as I find them.
PM of Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WV.
Noble of Osiris Shrine, Bethesda #16 R.A.M
A.&A.S.R 32*, Tall Cedars of Lebanon
Old August 10, 2014, 11:04 AM   #37
wally

starting ~10 years ago I stocked up deeply on primers, powder, and bullets in anticipation of retirement -- my best investment ever!

As to loaded reloads I've always tried to have 6 or 7 months worth of shooting on hand at the end of our "not summer" season because I reload in the garage and its just too hot to be out there doing it five or six months of the year.
Old August 10, 2014, 11:09 AM   #38
ColtPythonElite

I do my reloading in the winter. I usually load about twice what I plan to shoot during the year. I have loads that are at least 15 years old.
Old August 10, 2014, 09:47 PM   #39
200Apples

Quote:
jeeptim

I used to reload so could shoot more, now I shoot more so I can reload more.
Hahaha.

You might put that in your post signature...

:-)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1943

"Surely you have noticed the extent to which thinking is going out of style." - Jeff Cooper, January, 2000
Old August 11, 2014, 12:28 PM   #40
sauer1911

There was a time when I had an overstock of 5g water jugs, like 7 in the kitchen of a 1 bedroom apartment. Then in 1994 we had an earthquake out here in So. Cal. Those bottles of water became pure gold, literally.

Now that there is so much unrest, ease of crossing the border from Mexico, ISIS, et al, my stockpile of ammo is totally justified.

Down here in Long Beach, CA an intruder was shot breaking in, and there was a group trying to justify him being in the house! It's nuts!

HONESTLY, I pray I never have to use it for self defense, but i regularly shoot IDPA, at the local range, and educate myself on all my weapons.

Just in case.

be safe
Old August 11, 2014, 04:01 PM   #41
oldpapps

A little different slant to the question.

As I gain years, I have determined that I need only what I will shoot up before I can reload them, again and again.

A thousands rounds of 'reloads' from an unknown source has little value when conspired to the components still in sealed/unopened packaging. I know my son, daughter, their spouses and close family have no problem shooting my loads (they do it all of the time) but how many of you would, with out a little concern?
I have 'sleeves' of unopened primers, boxes of shrink wrapped bullets and sealed bottle of powder stored away. I do rotate my stocks as I shoot up the older first.

Component shortage, yea, I see the complaints. Has little effect on my loading. Old people have old ways.

OSOK
Old August 11, 2014, 09:38 PM   #42
joed

The only time you can ever have to much ammo is when your house is on filre.
Old August 12, 2014, 12:53 AM   #43
jeeptim

200 apples good call
Old August 12, 2014, 01:37 PM   #44
Arkansas Paul

Quote:
I mean I'm to the point every case i have is in some stage of being reloaded
This is the only thing in your post that stuck out to me.
It's time to buy more brass.