Quantcast
If you want a really small handgun - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: General Discussion

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 5, 2014, 03:27 AM   #1
Hunter2011

If you want a really small handgun

What options are out there?
Max lenght: 3.94'', max height, including sights: 3.55''
I want to get one for a online shooting comp at a local club, where the targed is placed at only 5 meters. The gun must be no bigger than the specs given.
Old August 5, 2014, 03:50 AM   #2
ugaarguy

The NAA mini revolver in .22 Short with 1&5/8" bbl may be your only option. The same gun in .22 LR is 4" long. Even the little Cobra derringers in .22 LR are 4" long. The Seecamp LWS 32 is the closest centerfire at 4.25", but there are no centerfires that meet your requirements: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B22w.../edit?hl=en_US.

This match sounds like a unicorn race.
Old August 5, 2014, 04:36 AM   #3
Hunter2011

I also wonder why after searching for small guns. There just are no enough options out there.
attached is the document of the rules, just to show I am not thumpsucking
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Post-BoxGuns-Guide-0514.pdf (289.2 KB, 98 views)
Old August 5, 2014, 05:25 AM   #4
Pete D.

Bernardelli VP25 - a baby Browning clone:
Old August 5, 2014, 10:33 AM   #5
herkyguy

Sounds like someone is writing rules around a very specific gun they have in mind.
Old August 5, 2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Digvideo

Repulsive
Old August 5, 2014, 06:00 PM   #7
MachIVshooter

Baby Browning or clones (such as the Bauer) are the only ones that come to mind.
Old August 5, 2014, 06:04 PM   #8
toivo

PSA (Precision Small Arms) makes a really nice Baby Browning clone. They aren't cheap, but they're very nice.

Old August 5, 2014, 06:40 PM   #9
56hawk

Walther Model 9 is the only thing I can find under 4".
Old August 6, 2014, 01:12 AM   #10
jbj

If you want a really small handgun

Ha! The Rohrbaugh looks like a duty sidearm by comparison
http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/products

Last edited by jbj; August 6, 2014 at 01:13 AM. Reason: spells
Old August 6, 2014, 02:14 AM   #11
ArchAngelCD

The Beretta Tomcat and Bobcat will make the box gun limits but not the Mini-Box Gun limits you are trying to fill. All the very small guns I looked at are over the the mini-Box gun limits but many will comply with the box gun limits.

I think the LM5 from American Derringer in 25 ACP is small enough.
Old August 6, 2014, 04:59 AM   #12
ugaarguy

Folks, every reference I can find shows all the baby Browning clones to be 4.0 to 4.1 inches OAL, which is too long for the OP's requirements. It seems like the rules for this match were written around the Walther Model 9.
Old August 6, 2014, 05:50 AM   #13
Dr.Rob

Not even a Colt Vest pocket .25 is that small. Just under 4.5" long.
Old August 6, 2014, 05:53 AM   #14
Hunter2011

I think I am going to email them to give me a list of appropriate guns and see what happens
Old August 6, 2014, 06:08 AM   #15
ugaarguy

Quote:
I think I am going to email them to give me a list of appropriate guns and see what happens
Please share their response .
Old August 6, 2014, 07:27 AM   #16
SleazyRider

The rules state that "Ö the whole frame, sights and grip, fits into a rectangle of 3.94 x 3.55."

Thinking outside the box a bit, what if the gun is placed into this rectangle vertically and on a diagonal, in other words, standing on its barrel. Now even my .22 caliber Sterling Model 302 would fit. It would open up a whole world of possibilities. If this is how the rule may be interpreted, perhaps they should state that the gun must be able to pass through a 3.94 X 3.55 rectangle.

Another possibility that entered my mind is that we are assuming the gun must be fully assembled. Is it acceptable to remove the slide and/or grips as long as they collectively fit into the rectangle?

Forgive me if I'm off-base here; I cheat at poker, too.

---JOHN STEINBECK, East of Eden
Old August 6, 2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Hunter2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyRider View Post
The rules state that "Ö the whole frame, sights and grip, fits into a rectangle of 3.94 x 3.55."

Thinking outside the box a bit, what if the gun is placed into this rectangle vertically and on a diagonal, in other words, standing on its barrel. Now even my .22 caliber Sterling Model 302 would fit. It would open up a whole world of possibilities. If this is how the rule may be interpreted, perhaps they should state that the gun must be able to pass through a 3.94 X 3.55 rectangle.

Another possibility that entered my mind is that we are assuming the gun must be fully assembled. Is it acceptable to remove the slide and/or grips as long as they collectively fit into the rectangle?

Forgive me if I'm off-base here; I cheat at poker, too.

Good questions.
I am awaiting their response to my mail.
Old August 6, 2014, 11:36 AM   #18
oneounceload

You sure the OAL is not just for the barrel? THAT opens up a lot more possibilities

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old August 6, 2014, 12:00 PM   #19
Haywood

J-Frame & NAA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (98.7 KB, 39 views)
Old August 6, 2014, 01:36 PM   #20
WestKentucky

Haven't looked at specs but maybe Taurus view? Swing load derringer folded up? Otherwise a tiny 22lr junk revolver (RG 22) and a hacksaw to the grip and barrel plus a grinder to the hammer spur.
Old August 7, 2014, 03:16 AM   #21
Hunter2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by perign View Post
You're going to buy a gun, just for some little match? Wow. I'd pay somebody there $20 to let me use theirs for a minute or 2 (if I bothered with such a thing, that is). The size limitation is ridiculous
Not just for the match. I will also use it then as a backup to my main SD gun. In my country you are not allowed more than 1 SD license. If you want more than one handgun, it must be licensed as a sporting weapon. This option from this club gives me this oportunity to own such a small gun.

Edit: They did come back to me. They did not explain how it works, but according to them, a Baby Browning or simular are what they have in mind, despite it being longer than 100mm
Old August 7, 2014, 09:52 AM   #22
bannockburn

Hunter2011

If that's the case I would go with a Baby Browning or a PSA-25 (Precision Small Arms), if this affords you the option of qualifying for another license. I love my Baby Browning but then I have always had a certain fascination with miniature guns.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:47 PM   #23
ArchAngelCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter2011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugaarguy View Post
Please share their response .
Yes, please let us know what they tell you...
Old August 7, 2014, 06:53 PM   #24
ArchAngelCD

Since you want to have this sporting gun as a backup why not register a "Box Gun" instead of a "Mini Box Gun?" The slightly larger box for that match will allow you to add MANY more guns to the possibility list.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:58 PM   #25
DT Guy

I thought the rules with a 'box' was 'it has to fit in the box', without regard to orientation or such; if that's the case, as mentioned there'd be lots of guns that fit.

Larry