Quantcast
Leaving gun parts in PVC capsule to clean - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 11, 2014, 09:54 AM   #1
HRnightmare

Leaving gun parts in PVC capsule to clean

Let me preface this post with the fact that I am anal-retentive about cleaning my guns. However sitting in my garage in the heat is not fun.

Someone recently gave me an idea. Taking a PVC pipe, capping on end and bputting a threaded cap on the other and filling it with gun cleaner, tossing my BCG's, suppressor baffles and other small gun parts in and sealing it off, than forgetting about it for several hours.

This would eliminate my desire to scrub and soak and scrub and soak for an hour plus.

My question is Wouldn't the gun cleaners degrade or eat through the PVC?
Old August 11, 2014, 10:06 AM   #2
SleazyRider

For three or four dollars one could by an empty 1-gallon paint can at Home Despot with a resealable lid. I keep one half-filled with laquer thinner, and use it for small gun parts, clock parts, and an occasional carburetor. It's lasted me several years now. Depending upon the solvent, I suspect the PVC may dissolve a bit and maybe become suspended in the liquid.

---JOHN STEINBECK, East of Eden
Old August 11, 2014, 10:08 AM   #3
HRnightmare

Yeah I guess a paint can would work. Solid advice. Thanks!

I was thinking PVC just because it could be sealed completely and made to different sizes for different things.

HOWEVER I was thinking the cleaner doesn't ruin the bottle it is stored in so I suspect it would not be an issue but I guess it could...but better safe than sorry.
Old August 11, 2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Drail

If your solvent require hours to dissolve powder fouling you need a different solvent. I have been cleaning guns for 30 years and it has never taken more than 5 minutes to clean even a filthy handgun that has had 1000 rounds pumped through it. The only thing I use is a bottle of CLP, an M16 brush, a bore brush and a couple of rags. Shotguns and rifles will take a little more time. As far as "soaking" goes I just shoot my last magazine and get the gun hot and take a Q tip and mop some CLP on the breechface and chamber and bag it up and take it home. Once i get it on the bench most of the fouling will practically wipe off with just a rag. The longer you leave the filth in the gun the longer you will have to work to get it off.
Old August 11, 2014, 12:58 PM   #5
Kp321

Brownells D'solve is a water based cleaner that would work well in PVC. It is not as aggressive as petroleum based cleaners but is safe and easy to use.
Old August 11, 2014, 01:47 PM   #6
HRnightmare

I use powder blast to blow the loose gunk off and get into the caked on stuff than a brass brush dipped in hopes to scrub. However sometimes for a BCG from a suppressed SBR or suppressor baffles it either takes some heavy scrubbing and work or soaking.

I never said I NEED to use my desired soaking method but sometimes it's easier to drop them in and move on to something else and forget about it.

Last night I came home from shooting and had to immediately go out until late in the night. Today I am at work, it won't be until AT least 36hrs +/- before I can clean them. What I like,to do is hang the barrels/ uppers from a wire shelf and fill them with foaming bore cleanser. That helps get ALOT of gunk out. Then I'll do it,again when I am ready to completely scrub it just to get the gunk loosened up. If I could pull the BCG and baffles, and other small parts out of a solution and just,need to scrub a little bit and lube it would be preferred.
Old August 11, 2014, 01:58 PM   #7
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Mix up some of this.

http://handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=9

rc
Old August 11, 2014, 03:00 PM   #8
oneounceload

Depending on the part. a can of brake cleaner from Walmart for about $3 will get most of the various build ups off the gun immediately

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson
Old August 11, 2014, 05:16 PM   #9
HRnightmare

I went with the first reccomendation of buying an empty paint can. It eliminates my worry of dissolving PVC.

Now I just need to bare the expense of buying a large bottle of cleaner to fill it enough.

Like I said BCG's and suppressor baffles are my primary intended use...so I probably only need 1-1.5 inches full in a 1GAL can.
Old August 11, 2014, 05:18 PM   #10
rcmodel
Contributing Member

See post #7 on Ed's Red.

Cheap to mix up a gallon, and lots of folks swear by it!

rc
Old August 11, 2014, 05:42 PM   #11
ColtPythonElite

I used Ed's, minus the acetone, in a plastic tote about the size of a shoe box for a parts soak.
Old August 11, 2014, 06:12 PM   #12
orionengnr

Another vote for the Ed's Red. I'm still using the first batch I made up three years or so ago.

rc, thanks for the link to the original "Ed", and his article--as always, you are a font of knowledge. Good reading.
I have read a number of articles and references/recipes, but always good to go to the source.
FWIW, I use common auto diesel fuel in place of the kerosene.

Last edited by orionengnr; August 11, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old August 11, 2014, 08:09 PM   #13
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Well, if diesel fuel works, more power too you!

But, for me?
No thanks!

I'll stick with the odorless kerosene / lamp oil.

Diesel fuel flat out stinks, and there is no washing it off once you get it on you or your clothes.

rc
Old August 11, 2014, 08:39 PM   #14
Bull Nutria

1+to RC no diesel for me, 1 ml makes you smell like you took a bath in it!!

Bull
Old August 14, 2014, 11:46 AM   #15
Elkins45

I soak stuff in a 50/50 mix of ATF and mineral spirits with good success.

I don't own an assault weapon. I own a counter-assault weapon.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:47 AM   #16
JWH321

I'm cheap.

My wife occasionally has an old bread pan or an old cake pan that the coating is peeling off of. They make wonderful cleaning pans.

We buy coffee in the plastic container with a snap on lid. Absolutely the greatest for cleaning containers. I have several with everything from linseed oil to dishwashing detergent. I'm not sure about storing lacquer thinner in them though, never tried.