Quantcast
shoulder stocks - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Blackpowder Shooting

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 13, 2014, 05:47 PM   #1
busterbrown

shoulder stocks

Got in to stocks to improve accuracy and the historical accuracy. Got carried away.

represented are Colt, Uberti, Pietta and Armi San Marco. Some are aged or refinished
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2916.jpg (107.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2922.jpg (104.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2923.jpg (107.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2921.jpg (72.9 KB, 37 views)
Old August 13, 2014, 06:19 PM   #2
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
I like detachable shoulder stocks, aka carbine breeches. I only have a couple. I am envious.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old August 13, 2014, 06:26 PM   #3
rodwha

Been wanting one for my ROA, and thinking I'd REALLY like a steel framed '58 with a 12" barrel to slap a stock on to!

I know, I know… Not so historical...

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old August 13, 2014, 09:18 PM   #4
elhombreconnonombre

Location: South of Austin in Hays Co., a day's ride from Bexar, Enchanted Rock, and Plum Creek
I think you could adapt one of the hammer screw Type eyetie stocks to a ROA.

God Bless John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, Errol Flynn, Randolph Scott, and Val Forgett Jr.
Old August 13, 2014, 09:24 PM   #5
rodwha

I had been thinking of having a grip panel replaced that wrapped around the backside. I'm not sure if it could handle the recoil, but I'm told it likely could with a hard wood.

Forget not that He left His throne to pay our price, and a hefty one it was indeed!

"I ask not the favor given to Paul," Copernicus said, "I seek not the grace bestowed upon Peter--but I beg the mercy granted to the thief on the cross!" - Alexander Smellie 1899
Old August 13, 2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Swing

Very Neat-O.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:13 AM   #7
kBob

Those are nice. I will admit to having little experience with them but it looks neat as all get out. One bud with an 1860 stocked case set claims the stock did nothing for him as far as shooting went, oddly his brother who shot it thought it made for much more accurate shooting.

I also agree that one of the buffalo style 12 inch Remingtons n steel with a removable stock would be interesting....and I generally do not care for the long barreled or adjustable sighted '58s.

With the Colts I have often wondered if making a dedicated backstrap permanently attached to a stock might not be a way to go, something like one of the Belgian Brevet Colt carbines.......

Must have been hard and frustrating at times trying to find shoulder stocks and revolvers that matched.

Thanks for your work in putting the collection together and for sharing it with us.

-kBob
Old August 14, 2014, 01:56 PM   #8
Cooldill

Awesome! Some day I want to get an 1860 Army with shoulder stock and have it modified to have the barrel-mounted sights this combo came with back in the 19th century. I do not believe anyone makes an 1860 with this site setup, even thought this was used on at least some of the Colts that were issued with shoulder stocks.
Old August 14, 2014, 02:27 PM   #9
BCRider

That's one seriously nice collection there.

Funny note but schmoozing through Ebay the other day I came across a sale of a supposedly authentic Colt knurled finger nut for the clamping bolt. The guy has it listed at a $300 starting bid. Oddly enough there's no bids...
Old August 14, 2014, 04:26 PM   #10
elhombreconnonombre

I came across a Guns of the Old West article from last year that featured a couple of very rare original 1851 Colt Navys with the carbine stock and 12" barrel.
DGW has a 12" Pietta brasser 1851 Navy with I think the Pietta long hammer screw-attached stock, called the "Wyatt Earp". I have a couple of Pietta "Buffalos" with that same stock, that fits my 1851s too. Fun, but non-historical...maybe hysterical.

Old August 15, 2014, 12:49 AM   #11
rcflint

Some of mine....

Old August 15, 2014, 03:06 AM   #12
elhombreconnonombre

RC
So on your Remmie, did you machine the crescent shape slot on the bottom of the grip of the steel frame to accept the hook of the long hammer screw type stock or did it come that way? I was not aware of any Remmies with a factory machined grip other than the brass framed "Buffalo/Bison". I was going to cobble together a Remmie with a steel frame from a spare 8" with a 12" barrel from a Buffalo AND MAYBE a .45 cartridge conversion cylinder to come up with the "ultimate" all purpose camp/trapper convertible carbine. Of course then there is the SBR issue. If I could get a custom 16" inch barrel then that issue is solved.

Old August 15, 2014, 05:42 AM   #13
elhombreconnonombre

A couple of mine with what I call the "universal" detachable stock. I have seen this type stock modified to fit a Walker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1544.jpg (27.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1554.jpg (47.7 KB, 19 views)

Old August 15, 2014, 09:33 AM   #14
elhombreconnonombre

Rodwha
I have played with the idea of a wooden grip panel style attached stock for my Le Mat...I have strange ideas.

Old August 15, 2014, 01:05 PM   #15
rodwha

One of the things I'd have done is to lengthen the pull so as to get the caps further from my face, but also to get a more proper sight alignment, almost as though you were normally holding the pistol, and cramped up like these typical pistol stocks.

Old August 15, 2014, 02:09 PM   #16
elhombreconnonombre

Rodwha
Great minds think alike. I made an extension to the buttstock from rigid styrofoam to lengthen the pull and concealed it under a laceup leather buttstock cover/sling I ordered from Cabelas. Works/looks good.

Old August 15, 2014, 02:52 PM   #17
rodwha

Does it improve the sight picture as I imagine it would?

One concern I have with the removal of a grip panel to work as the stock attachment point is that the wood would likely be rather thin as it rounds the grip frame, and under recoil it may break. I use nothing but 3F Olde E or T7. But even were it dropped...

Old August 15, 2014, 03:48 PM   #18
elhombreconnonombre

Rodwha
The design I worked up for my Le Mat is comprised of a thin metal sheet underlying the wooden grips that is shaped like the grips and soldered to a piece of metal that wraps around the backstrap. The wrist of a Hawken or Kentucky rifle stock attaches to this "secondary" backstrap via drilled and tapped connectors. Just the weapon that Van Helsing could use for shooting vamps with wooden stakes from the shotgun barrel or werewolves using silver round balls from the 9 shot cylinder.

Last edited by elhombreconnonombre; August 15, 2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old August 15, 2014, 04:00 PM   #19
rodwha

Hmmmm… Nice!

I need to find a cabinet maker...

Old August 15, 2014, 04:59 PM   #20
Kaeto

Rodwha have him make you a copy of the really rare stock that doubled as a canteen.

1911. For when 911 just isn't fast enough.

"Be wary of Strong Drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors...
And miss!" - L. Long
Old August 15, 2014, 05:35 PM   #21
rodwha

Who?

I'd love to see a stock on a Walker! In the Walker thread there's a Walker carbine that's quite sweet!

Old August 15, 2014, 06:54 PM   #22
elhombreconnonombre

I believe the canteen stocks were made of tin...if you could find a tinsmith...maybe.
If you search the Walker club for posts by lionrobe77, you can see his detachable stocked Walker as well his detachable stock Schofield that uses the Pedersoli Howdah stock.

Old August 15, 2014, 07:23 PM   #23
rodwha

Found the Walker carbine:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost....postcount=3430

I also found the stock modification by lionrobe77. Cool!

I think, were I to do such, I'd prefer to get a single piece of wood to make the stock, as well as new grip panels so it all matched nicely.

Old August 17, 2014, 05:07 PM   #24
rcflint

ElHombre, yes, Ihave a Woodruff Key cutter I have used to recut the older thin Pietta cylinder notches to match the later wider bolt.. I used it to cut a notch for the stock, as the assembly is too slippery without it.
Old August 17, 2014, 05:29 PM   #25
zimmerstutzen

What? No 1855 Springfield pistol carbine?