Quantcast
Handled an LC9s at my local gunstore today. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 14, 2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Orion8472

Handled an LC9s at my local gunstore today.

After work, today, I stopped by the gunstore and there just happened to be an LC9s. I had to look at it. I have to say that the trigger is VERY nice! However, the slide release is a bit too far back and it is possible my thumb may keep it down, causing a "failure" to lock back on the last round.

I may slightly alter my strong hand thumb, though, because it really felt good in the hand . . . . and the trigger was quite incredible!

I'll have to sell off my other carry gun first.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:14 PM   #2
George Dickel

I would suggest shooting one before purchasing it. I tried one out dry firing and liked the way it felt in my hand. Then I shot it on the range and didn't do bad at all on accuracy but the trigger was my main disappointment. At the time I had a 5 shot snubbie revolver and the trigger pull on the Ruger was as long as on my revolver so it worked OK for me. The only problem I had was that I kept pinching my trigger finger between the pistol frame and the trigger. The only way I could avoid that was to place just the tip of my finger on the trigger when I pulled it. That caused me to decide against the LC9. I really liked the pistol, felt good in my hand, the grip is just the right size for me but the trigger was the deal breaker.

I suggest you try the S&W Shield also, I really like that pistol.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:22 PM   #3
beeenbag
Contributing Member

George,

Was the one you shot the new striker fired model? It is suppose to be a much shorter trigger than the original lc9.

Im curious to try one myself... Looking forward to more reviews.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be ĎIf I only had my gun.íĒ
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass.Ē

www.zcastbulletz.com
Old August 14, 2014, 10:27 PM   #4
George Dickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeenbag View Post
George,

Was the one you shot the new striker fired model? It is suppose to be a much shorter trigger than the original lc9.

Im curious to try one myself... Looking forward to more reviews.
I don't know for sure which one it was, it was about 6 or 7 months ago that I shot it. The trigger wasn't heavy at all, just a very long pull.
Old August 14, 2014, 10:31 PM   #5
beeenbag
Contributing Member

The new striker fired version is stamped "lc9s".

S= striker
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be ĎIf I only had my gun.íĒ
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass.Ē

www.zcastbulletz.com
Old August 14, 2014, 10:49 PM   #6
Orion8472

There is absolutely NO way you would mistake the LC9s trigger as "the double action revolver pull". The striker fire system of the LC9s is short, light, and crisp. Reset isn't particularly short, but not all that bad. Not sure how it would recoil, though. But then, my brother just purchased the LCP, which I thought would be a bit snappy, but . . . not at all. However, the 9mm is more powerful, so the skinny handle of the LC9s COULD be a bit painful if shooting a lot of rounds. I'm up for it, though.
Old August 14, 2014, 11:34 PM   #7
TarDevil

My birthday is coming up in two months. I'm pushing this to the top of the list!
Old August 14, 2014, 11:36 PM   #8
Bush Pilot

I've had an LC9s for a couple of weeks and can't say enough about how much better the trigger pull is vs the older LC9. My LGS owner is concerned he won't be able to sell his remaining stock of the older version.
Old August 15, 2014, 09:46 AM   #9
Orion8472

Bush Pilot, how is the recoil management of it? Is it a snappy recoil?

Are their night sights that can be purchased for this gun?
Old August 15, 2014, 10:03 AM   #10
aarondhgraham

This really helped the recoil,,,

This really helped the recoil,,,
Not so much by padding the grip,,,
It widened the swell and made it fit me better.

Pachmayr Grip Sleeve,,,
$13.95 changed a decent gun to a great gun.

Aarond

Old August 15, 2014, 10:07 AM   #11
Orion8472

aaron, I like your gun and color choice. I'd carry it!

However, I need the trip to be thin, so the sleeve may not be best for me. Also, I'd worry about the potential "clothes grabbing" effect of it. But perhaps for range trips, I could use one from time to time.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:09 AM   #12
Bush Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion8472 View Post
Bush Pilot, how is the recoil management of it? Is it a snappy recoil?

Are their night sights that can be purchased for this gun?
I'm shooting fairly hot reloads and recoil isn't bad at all IMO. It's funny, when I was shooting an older LC9 I developed an obvious flinch, with the new LC9s, no flinch.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:30 AM   #13
Orion8472

The trigger really is that good!

I may have to pick one up then. I saw that Ruger sells night sights for it, . . . but at a shipped price of ~$160.
Old August 15, 2014, 10:45 AM   #14
mgmorden

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Dickel View Post
I don't know for sure which one it was, it was about 6 or 7 months ago that I shot it. The trigger wasn't heavy at all, just a very long pull.
The striker version hasn't been out for that long. If it was 6 or 7 months ago that was the regular version with the reportedly much worse trigger.
Old August 15, 2014, 11:01 AM   #15
breakingcontact

Glad to see Ruger keeps getting things right. I had the original LC9. The trigger was ridiculous.

Facebook me at https://www.facebook.com/break.cont
Old August 15, 2014, 11:10 AM   #16
Orion8472

Here's the thing, . . . . .by the time I put those night sights on, it's gonna be ~$560 for that gun.
Old August 15, 2014, 03:00 PM   #17
Orion8472

I guess Saturday I'll go back and put it on layaway, getting it out when I sell my XDs. The trigger really is significantly better than the one on the XDs. YMMV

The night sights will be expensive, as will be the extra mag [since they only put one in it], but it will be lighter and a small bit more concealable than the XDs 4.0 pistol.
Old August 15, 2014, 03:26 PM   #18
Old Dog

Hmm. The heinous trigger pull on the hammer-fired LC9 was what led me to scrap it as a carry option ... I've been impressed with the accuracy and reliability of the two LaserMax editions I bought. I wanted to like this Ruger, really, but even with the mag extension, it still feels too small for my hand. Regardless, my daughter likes the one I gave her and is very accurate with it -- I'll have her try the striker version.
Old August 15, 2014, 04:08 PM   #19
Orion8472

I hear ya, Old Dog. The trigger of the LC9 is what kept me from getting it too, but the striker trigger on the "s" is a game changer for me.
Old August 15, 2014, 08:43 PM   #20
breakingcontact

Quote:
Here's the thing, . . . . .by the time I put those night sights on, it's gonna be ~$560 for that gun.
Ill have about $700 in my M&P Shield

Facebook me at https://www.facebook.com/break.cont
Old August 15, 2014, 11:30 PM   #21
secamp32

Quote:
Quote:
Ill have about $700 in my M&P Shield
The gun is the cheap part. For most of my guns I spent more on extra mags and holsters than the gun cost.
Old August 16, 2014, 10:31 AM   #22
Orion8472

I guess that's true, guys. Thanks.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:09 PM   #23
aarondhgraham

Hello Orion8472 and secamp32,,,

Quote:
aaron, I like your gun and color choice. I'd carry it!
I appreciate that,,,
Most people tease me about it,,,
I just wanted something other than black.

About that "terrible" trigger,,,
Just shoot the dang thing and get used to it.

It's not a terrible trigger,,,
It just has a long pull,,,
Just practice with it.

Quote:
The gun is the cheap part. For most of my guns I spent more on extra mags and holsters than the gun cost.
I hear you my friend,,,
I just spent $168.87 (cost, tax, and shipping),,,
That was for three magazines for my Beretta Cheetah Model 87.

I have a minimum of three mags for each pistol,,,
But I like to have five to cover for breakage.

A semi without mags is either a single-shot,,,
Or a very expensive club.

Aarond

Old August 17, 2014, 09:31 AM   #24
Orion8472

Well, yesterday, I went to the gunshop and put it in layaway. As soon as the XDs sells, I'll use that money to get it out. Then I will take it to the range to see if I actually like the way it shoots and how good the accuracy is, . . . then will spend the money on the Trijicons and extra magazine.