Quantcast
Opinions on the Wheeler Fat Wrench - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Ammunition, Gear, and Firearm Help > Gunsmithing and Repairs

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 17, 2014, 11:26 AM   #1
loose noose

Opinions on the Wheeler Fat Wrench

Just purchased a torque driver by Wheeler and proceeded to tighten a set of rings (B-Square) to a scope at 20 inch pounds of pressure. The first three screws seemed to set just fine and the fourth screw became stripped, as I could no longer feel or hear the audible "click". Further I don't think the torque is doing any accurate torqueing if at all. Any opinions on this as it is brand new, and the first time I've used this particular of a torque driver.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:29 PM   #2
futurerider103

I have used mine several times without issues. I think something may be wrong with yours and I would exchange it. Although 20in pounds isn't much and you would think you would know if you've put way more torque than that on that particular screw. When torquing be aware of what you are doing and if you something doesn't seem right take it apart and do it again. Better safe than sorry
Old August 17, 2014, 12:52 PM   #3
1KPerDay

Mine has worked fine. 20 inch lbs? That's not even one and a half foot pounds... Use two fingers.
Old August 17, 2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Sol

Is there a torque sequence? Did you start all the screws first? I ask because sometimes things seem lined up but they aren't.
Old August 17, 2014, 01:49 PM   #5
loose noose

I've used other torque wrenches/drivers before, and this one just doesn't seem to work like the rest of them. In fact I've done at least 1000 scopes before and never stripped a screw. I use the old tire method of going in a diagonal design, starting with the front screws first. I do believe this one is not working just right. I'm going to have to give Wheeler a call tomorrow and see about sending it back.
Old August 17, 2014, 02:14 PM   #6
LeonCarr

Mine has worked great. I would look more at the poor quality of the B-Square product than I would at the torque wrench.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Old August 17, 2014, 04:28 PM   #7
loose noose

LeonCarr, You're probably right on the quality of the scope rings, I believe they are aluminum of questionable quality. However, why can I get a torque on one screw and then turn another screw to the point of nearly breaking, or stripping the screw?
Old August 19, 2014, 10:45 AM   #8
loose noose

You can say what you want about B-Square, but I called them yesterday morning and explained the problem, and guess what they are sending me a new set of rings free of charge. Too bad I can't say the same about Wheeler, I called them, was on hold for at least 10 minutes, left a call back number, and never heard a word back from them. Note after looking at the packaging I saw where they are made in "China" no wonder. Man I do miss my old Weaver Torque Driver, too bad it finally gave up, it was built back in the '70's and used extensively.
Old August 19, 2014, 09:30 PM   #9
loose noose

I'll have to take back what was said about Wheeler engineering, finally got a call back from them, and they are sending me a new one, free of charge also.
Old August 19, 2014, 09:44 PM   #10
HDMF04

Glad to hear that Wheeler made it right. I have a Wheeler scope mounting kit and have always had good results with it.
Old August 24, 2014, 01:15 PM   #11
loose noose

Last week I got the FAT Wrench in the mail brand spanking new and it works like it should. However I've yet to get the B-Square rings that were promised to me. What can I say?
Old August 24, 2014, 01:42 PM   #12
Highcaliber

Have you tried the Borka torque tool ? Great piece of kit.

https://www.triadtactical.com/Borka-...ue-Driver.html

Old August 26, 2014, 01:57 PM   #13
loose noose

Never heard of them. where would one get a hold of such a device?
Old August 26, 2014, 02:47 PM   #14
BBBBill

Brownells
Old August 27, 2014, 05:12 PM   #15
Miked7762

If you still have the old one around, try moving the adjustment from zero to full scale and back several times. The lubricant gets settled when the wrench hasn't been used for a while and it causes what happened to you, the wrench either doesn't click or does a few times and stops. That's why manufacturers recommend storing torque wrenches at zero and moving the adjustment back down to zero before changing settings. It forces you to redistribute the lube just before use.
Old August 27, 2014, 05:50 PM   #16
mike.h

no problems with mine,
Old August 31, 2014, 10:09 AM   #17
amflyer

Probably nothing wrong with the wrench at all. 20 in-lbs is pretty tight for a set of aluminum rings.

My fat wrench came with a certificate of calibration, written by human hands.