Quantcast
New (to me) Sig P228 - I got an old friend back! - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 25, 2014, 09:13 PM   #1
JDR

New (to me) Sig P228 - I got an old friend back!

I just picked up a nice Sig P228 at a decent price. I had one like it a few years back but had to sell it, and I regretted it ever since. But I have this one now and I plan on keeping it; shoots every bit as good as the 1st one and I even like the DA trigger pull on this one better than the first one!

This one came with only one 13 rd. factory mag, I live in PA so I want to score a few more 13 round factory mags, CDNN had them for around $40, then I'm good to go!
Old August 26, 2014, 09:52 PM   #2
wojownik

Look at MecGar mags for your p228. MecGar made them for Sig anyway - same/better quality at almost half the price of factory mags. Plus the MecGar labeled mags are 15 round, while their Sig factory versions are 13 round.
Old August 26, 2014, 10:31 PM   #3
JDR

Wojownik;

Thanks for the tip on the MecGar 15 rounders, just ordered 2 of these from MecGar!
Old August 26, 2014, 10:35 PM   #4
wojownik

No problem. That p228 is one of my favorites, if not the favorite.

My main complaint is that they are like Pringles ... you can't just have one
Old August 27, 2014, 02:21 PM   #5
wojownik

p.s. - you might want to check out Greg Cotes LLC or Top Gun Supply for good prices on MecGar items.
Old September 2, 2014, 10:56 AM   #6
JDR

I just got the MecGar 15 rounders in the mail, these are the same as the Sig factory 13 rounder, except the factory mag is dimpled near the basepad to restrict 2 rounds. Now I'm good to go!
Old September 2, 2014, 08:33 PM   #7
LSCurrier

I have a Sig P228 West German version and could never part with it.

Luke
John 3:16

"Those who are willing to trade civil liberties for temporary security, deserve neither."
Benjamin Franklin
Old September 3, 2014, 07:27 AM   #8
snooperman

I also have a P228 and it is one of my favorite pistols. It is a classic SIG.
Old September 3, 2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Rob G

A few years ago I was able to purchase a German made P228 that was retired from the Swiss State Police. Not only do I love i but literally everybody I've ever let shoot it has loved it. You've just scored a fantastic gun OP now get out there and shoot it!

Alterius non sit qui suus esse potest

"Nature can't evolve a species that hasn't a will to survive" - Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card
Old September 3, 2014, 09:59 AM   #10
JDR

Over the holiday weekend, this P228 cycled some TulAmmo BrassMaxx ammo beautifully, and my G-17 choked on the same stuff. I'm not going to make a habit of using marginal quality ammo but it's good to know that I can use up the rest of this ammo with this gun! This P228 has a better DA/SA trigger than the first one I had, but this one has more holster wear on the slide; I thought about having it refinished but I'll leave it alone for now, it has character!

Last edited by JDR; September 4, 2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old September 5, 2014, 12:09 AM   #11
kvtcomdo

Congratulations on your find.

The SIG P 228 is truly on of my favorite handguns.

“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin
NRA Benefactor life; TSRA Life; GOA Life: CCRKBA Life: US Army 1972-80
Old September 5, 2014, 11:03 PM   #12
judgedelta
Contributing Member

Thanks for the tip on the MecGar Magazines. I've got a West "By God" German 228 that I've had so long that the lights have about gone out. It's time I got it out out and found out if it will still shoot...