Quantcast
New pawn shop find - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 30, 2014, 12:04 AM   #1
CleanHarry

New pawn shop find

Here it is! What can you tell me about it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.5 KB, 298 views)
Old August 30, 2014, 12:18 AM   #2
leadcounsel

Are there any markings on it?

That appears to be a WWI-II era Fabrique National (FN) model 1910 in a small caliber such as 7.65mm and 9mm short. Worth $125-$500 depending on condition and other factors according to my Catalog of Military Firearms 5th Ed. From the concealed hammer, and trigger, it appears SAO. Made from 1912-1954.
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old August 30, 2014, 12:30 AM   #3
CleanHarry

Bam!

Good job! Any additions?
Old August 30, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
leadcounsel

http://www.militaryfactory.com/small...allarms_id=282

Want me to clean it and shoot it for you too?
2A: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF (2008, 2009, 2010) and OND (2011). Bronze Star Medal and Meritorious Service Medal recipient. NRA Lifetime Member. I'm a lawyer, but not YOUR lawyer and I have not offered you legal advice.
Old August 30, 2014, 06:45 AM   #5
bannockburn

I had the Browning labeled version of the 1910. Mine was made in the early 1950s and was in like new condition. Every time I took it out I was reminded of the high level of craftsmanship that went into making this pistol so many years ago. One of the all-time classic pocket pistols.
Old August 30, 2014, 09:07 AM   #6
jhb

wow, nice find. sure like those browning designs. thanks for sharing with us.
Old August 30, 2014, 10:10 AM   #7
CleanHarry

Another picture

Here is another look. The article in the newest American Rifleman turned me onto this historic, Browning-designed gun. I remembered seeing this one in the case a one of my local haunts. Went for a close look at what was formerly a "gun I don't even want." Haha... That kept my offer low.

I did all of the research and returned to the shop... Confirmed some key features - like the lower case "de" in sans serif - took it apart... Virtually NO wear on the internals... Shiny, well defined bore... Bought it.

I spent more than a half hour figuring out how to put that sucker back together... Thank goodness for smart phones!

Thanks for the offer, but it cleaned it myself and I'm going to shoot it today... I just thought others might enjoy looking it up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (121.8 KB, 120 views)
Old August 30, 2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Yo Mama

I hope I look that good at that age! Nice gun, enjoy.
Old August 30, 2014, 09:06 PM   #9
leadcounsel

It's a shame that modern gun laws have basically destroyed innovation for making guns.

Yes, these are great historical pieces.
Old August 30, 2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Hometeached1

Very nice!
Love the craftsmanship of the older pistols.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old August 30, 2014, 11:11 PM   #11
CleanHarry

Picture

Another one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (224.0 KB, 53 views)
Old August 30, 2014, 11:26 PM   #12
Jim K

Made about 1937.

Jim
Old August 31, 2014, 12:42 PM   #13
Big Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
It's a shame that modern gun laws have basically destroyed innovation for making guns.

Yes, these are great historical pieces.
I agree, the greatest innovations get slaughtered by Anti-gun laws.

Like the helical 100-rd mags of the Calico pistols & rifles...
they were in California when Kali got nutso against guns...so they moved to Oregon,
which this year enacted a bunch of Anti-Gun laws...which shut them down again.

Sad part is, I had spent a lot of time Emailing the company,
asking them to move to Pensacola, Florida when I heard they were looking for a new home...
but they choose Oregon instead...betcha Florida's looking mighty nice now

However, it is unlikely they will be able to raise the capital to move so soon after
dumping their entire fortune into Oregon...so their only hope is that a rich gun guy
decides to buy them out, and move them to a Very Gun-Friendly state...like Florida
Might as well change the name too, as Calico is on the Anti's ban lists...

For those who don't know, the Pensacola, FL area has a HUGE amount of military retirees...
you know, those guys who know how to actually take Orders, who show up for work,
who put in for vacation 6 months in advance, who don't do drugs because they'd
rather spend it on guns & ammo & rods & reels (better stress relief anyway)
Smart man would build his biz in the nearby community of Pace or Milton, (Santa Rosa County)
where the taxes are really LOW (6%), there's no state income tax, and all the retiree's hang out.
(Fishing & Hunting are EXCELLENT there)
And since its on I-10, 3 major airports, and a railroad hub...shipping takes care of itself!!

Last edited by Big Shrek; August 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old September 1, 2014, 08:21 AM   #14
CleanHarry

Took it to the range

Two hand hold, 7 shots, 7 yards. Smile on my face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (144.6 KB, 12 views)
Old September 1, 2014, 10:51 AM   #15
lincen

I never see handguns like that in the pawn shops that I visit. Very nice looking FN.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:06 PM   #16
bannockburn

CleanHarry

That's mighty decent shooting given that there's hardly anything on the top of a Model 1910's slide that might be called "sights". Found mine in the used gun case at my LGS for $300. No vinyl pouch or manual but the gun itself was like new with no visible signs that it had ever been fired. A beautifully made gun from another era.
Old September 1, 2014, 02:36 PM   #17
CleanHarry

Nobody asked how much

Funny that nobody asked how much I paid, usually it's asked within 3 or 4 posts!

Like you, I paid $300. I'm good with that.... They had it Cray Cray priced at $549!!! Ha!
Old September 1, 2014, 06:11 PM   #18
200Apples

Outstanding, sir!

So what, exactly, is this chambered in?

:-)
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." - Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson, 1943

"Surely you have noticed the extent to which thinking is going out of style." - Jeff Cooper, January, 2000
Old September 1, 2014, 06:46 PM   #19
CleanHarry

caliber

.32 acp
Old September 2, 2014, 07:50 AM   #20
Lucky Derby

Very nice!
Old September 2, 2014, 10:10 PM   #21
CleanHarry

Let's see yours, Bannockburn!

How about a picture? Now that I love them!
Old September 3, 2014, 10:26 AM   #22
skoro

My FIL had a very similar FN Model 1922 that he brought back from WW2. It has the Nazi stamped markings on it. Since he was in an antiaircraft battalion and this pistol was commonly issued to the Luftwaffe, I like to think he took it from a downed German pilot. He passed away a number of years back, so I never got to ask him the story behind it.