Quantcast
A Tale of Two Hi-Powers - Page 2 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 2, 2014, 03:47 PM   #26
Sergei Mosin

Some beautiful Hi Powers on display here. Stephen Camp would be proud.
Old September 2, 2014, 04:35 PM   #27
anothernewb

I feel I should chime in lol. I found this at an auction 2 years ago sitting all alone new in it's box. no one was ever looking at it. At the time I had never heard of a hi-power. (kinda new to firearms) but I loved the way it felt so I bid on it. Got it for $500 out the door. Choked a bit on the price since I didn't come prepared to buy anything and suffered some buyers remorse. only much later did I discover that it was a pretty good deal.

Ironically, it sparked a feverish interest in 2 tone firearms.

Old September 2, 2014, 04:39 PM   #28
peacebutready

comment

You gentlemen have great taste.

I became curious of the Mec-Gar 15 round mags and started a thread asking about their reliability below:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...68#post9601668

Last edited by peacebutready; September 2, 2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: verbiage
Old September 2, 2014, 08:38 PM   #29
OneSevenDeuce

anothernewb, you got a good deal indeed! I'd borrow money right away to get a hi power for $500!

peacebutready, thanks for that. I recently bought a 15 rounder and haven't had the chance to test it out yet.
Old September 3, 2014, 12:01 AM   #30
Dentite

Quote:
Dentite, what is that safety on the second Hi-Power you show? Thanks!
It's a current MKIII ambi safety with the right side lever removed, the shaft shortened and rounded. A small paddle was silver soldered to the factory left side lever. I subsequently reduced the thickness of the rear of the safety, bent the paddle portion to fit my thumb a little better, rounded some edges, etc.

If I could do it all over again, I would slightly tweak a couple things but it would end up pretty close to where it is now.

I can grip pretty high on the BHP because my hands are skinny enough I never get hammer bite...although I did bob this hammer just a bit. But when I do take a nice high grip, the thick rear portions of the safety dig into my hand. Removing the right side paddle and shortening the shaft takes care of the right side. On the left side, any BHP I'm going to shoot a lot and try to shoot at a high level, I'm going to need to reduce the size of the rear part of the safety like I did in the picture. That reduction in thickness is more important than the paddle extension, but the extension does make it easier to flip it on and off.
Old September 3, 2014, 01:13 AM   #31
Lucky Derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSevenDeuce View Post
I don't see anything about HPs on that website other than a few replacement parts.
The site isn't up to date on the HPs. Big discussion on it on the 1911 forum in the hi power section. I'm "Andy Taylor" on that forum.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=464329
Old September 3, 2014, 08:33 AM   #32
OneSevenDeuce

Dentite, that's some fine work!

Lucky, thanks for the link!
Old September 3, 2014, 06:58 PM   #33
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
I feel I should chime in lol. I found this at an auction 2 years ago sitting all alone new in it's box. no one was ever looking at it. At the time I had never heard of a hi-power. (kinda new to firearms) but I loved the way it felt so I bid on it. Got it for $500 out the door. Choked a bit on the price since I didn't come prepared to buy anything and suffered some buyers remorse. only much later did I discover that it was a pretty good deal.

Ironically, it sparked a feverish interest in 2 tone firearms.

You scored a nice, adjustable sight BHP "Practical". They were out in numbers when I bought by "Silver Chrome" model in 1994. Very, very nice, and a great find!
Old September 5, 2014, 11:37 AM   #34
OneSevenDeuce

Slight update: I added Navidrex stocks to my Hi-Power. The Altamonts were thinner than the factory stocks, but I wanted just a bit thinner than that. These fit the bill marvelously. If it were possible for a Hi-Power to feel even better in my hand, this is it.

Old September 5, 2014, 03:23 PM   #35
Rock185

Thumbs up

OneSeven, nice guns there sir. I'm a Hi Power fan too and have owned probably more than my share since the 1960s,i.e., pre-T, "T"s, "C"s, MkII, MKIIIs, GP Comps, INGLIS, etc. The T and C-series are nicely blued, have a lighter main/hammer spring (generally makes for slighty lighter trigger pull) but is hampered by the tiny sights, safety,etc. I've found slide/frame fit of the MKIIIs to be superior to the T and C series guns I've owned. For actual shooting, I much prefer the MKIIIs with the better sights, larger/usable ambi safety,etc. The Ts and Cs are real pretty though, and collectors seem to love them;-)

BTW, I have the thin Navidrex grips on my current GP, Spegels, Nills, Hogues on some of the others. The Navidrex are the thinest I've used, but I haven't tried the thin VZs yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPs 013.jpg (110.2 KB, 26 views)
Old September 5, 2014, 03:29 PM   #36
anothernewb

okay not to derail the posts here, but since there seems to be a few hipower owners looking, I have a question. My saftey is tight. as in tight enough that if it were a PD situation, I'd never be able to thumb it off in time. It takes a concentrated effort to move. Any suggestions as to where to look to see where it's binding?
Old September 5, 2014, 03:37 PM   #37
OneSevenDeuce

Rock185, I got a pair of the VZs at about the same time I got the Navidrex. Measuring with calipers, they are slightly wider than the Navidrex. That is the reason the Navidrex are on my MK III rather than the VZs.

Anothernewb, My T series used to be that way. Just took a little repetition to get it to smooth out a bit.
Old September 5, 2014, 03:39 PM   #38
OneSevenDeuce

BTW, Rock, that's a nice collection you have there!
Old September 5, 2014, 03:56 PM   #39
Monac

A High Power is one of those guns you have to shoot in order to understand why it is so popular. My High Power has kind of a rough finish (it's one of the Inglis copies made in India) but it handles beautifully and, to me, is one of the most pleasant 9mms to shoot. I was surprised at how good the trigger was, too.
Old September 5, 2014, 04:17 PM   #40
OneSevenDeuce

Yup. That's all you hear about it. Everyone who picks it up seems to love it, regardless of hand size.
Old September 5, 2014, 04:53 PM   #41
JRH6856

The BHP had always been my "grail" gun. In 1981, I traded a S&W 28 for this C series (72C). I added the ambi safety and Bomar sights.
War is when your government decides who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.
Old September 5, 2014, 05:00 PM   #42
OneSevenDeuce

Your picture doesn't seem to be working.
Old September 5, 2014, 05:06 PM   #43
OCM

Estonian BHP

Since everyone is showing off their "New" BHP's I thought an "Oldie But Goodie" would be in order. Pre war 1938 Eastonian contract, tanget sights, EV on backstrap with shoulder stock slot. Has German holster, 2 wa104 magizines.
Old September 5, 2014, 05:08 PM   #44
OneSevenDeuce

No picture there either.
Old September 5, 2014, 05:31 PM   #45
OCM

BHP

Maybe the picture will work now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Top.jpg (155.2 KB, 28 views)
Old September 5, 2014, 05:33 PM   #46
OneSevenDeuce

Yup! Looks great! Even the "history" marks (what I call pitting). That's one to cherish.
Old September 5, 2014, 10:02 PM   #47
RainDodger

I gotta say, anothernewb, that is one gorgeous handgun you have there. I've never been a real fan of the two-tone, but yours just hits the right note with me. I hope you enjoy it. If you don't, just shoot me an IM and I'll take care of it for you just based on the picture.
U.S. Naval Aviator, Retired
Old September 6, 2014, 02:50 PM   #48
Mosin Bubba

Quote:
Now THAT is a good-looking pistol
Old September 6, 2014, 03:12 PM   #49
OneSevenDeuce

Thanks, it's one of my faves!
Old September 6, 2014, 05:20 PM   #50
damienph

1969C Hi-Power

This is a great thread! You guys have some beautiful Hi-Powers and some good photographt skills as well.

My only Hi-Power is a Belgian 1969C. It's seen a lot of use and apparently hasn't always been stored properly. I am more of a 1911 shooter (5) but I can certainly see a couple more Hi-Powers in my future.

Photography lessons wouldn't hurt either...

Tags
browning, hi power, p35