Quantcast
Clip draw on the new Glock 42 - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old August 31, 2014, 03:34 PM   #1
horsemen61

Clip draw on the new Glock 42

Do y'all think it would work ok I have a friend dead set on getting one for his g42 me I'll just pocket carry that's all I need but he thinks this will be the ultimate ccw for him so I on the other hand have my doubts
Old August 31, 2014, 03:36 PM   #2
2wheels

Don't think clipdraws are a good idea, especially on guns like Glocks. Nothing is covering the trigger, and that's generally not a good thing...
Old August 31, 2014, 03:46 PM   #3
OneSevenDeuce

A holster that doesn't cover the trigger is not for me. Too many variables happen in day to day life. No pocket carry without a pocket holster either.
Old August 31, 2014, 03:49 PM   #4
rcmodel
Contributing Member

+3

Not on a Glock for sure!!

It's a Must to have the trigger covered by a holster on a Glock or other gun with nothing but a trigger safety.

If I had to use a clip-draw with no holster, and would also use this with it.

https://www.clipdraw.com/store/index...on=show_detail

rc
Old August 31, 2014, 03:51 PM   #5
OneSevenDeuce

I'd go so far as to say that a holster that doesn't cover the trigger is a no go for ANY carry pistol. Even if it has a manual safety, you shouldn't depend entirely on that. Just protect the trigger. Nuff said.
Old August 31, 2014, 04:03 PM   #6
WestKentucky

I'm chiming in with the masses. I despise trigger safeties and dislike striker fired guns in general, but if a g42 were my carry gun it would be in a leather holster which covers the entire gun from the grip to the muzzle. It would be form fitted so that the trigger finger would fall into the trigger guard as the gun came out of the holster. Lastly my holster would probably be cross draw abdomen carry, not IWB so that it's not pointed at your femoral artery should a ND happen
Old August 31, 2014, 04:08 PM   #7
JohnnyBravo

I heard the phrase, "dead nuts reliable" was coined by former clip-draw users.
Old August 31, 2014, 07:43 PM   #8
jhb

Okay on a glock that isn't chambered.

One can argue on that point for sure. One can't argue on a chambered glock without the trigger covered. That is a very bad idea. Leg shot or negligent discharge will happen eventually.
Old August 31, 2014, 07:49 PM   #9
Hometeached1

As others have said, no way. Not for any handgun really.

"I rather be shot in the foot with a .50BMG than a .22 short to the base of the skull." Unknown.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:12 AM   #10
realjsturgeon

Instead of a clip draw he could do a MIC holster. Minimum weight and bulk but still covers trigger.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:14 AM   #11
realjsturgeon

http://glocktech.com/purchase/glock42.php

uploadfromtaptalk1409544887231.jpg
Old September 1, 2014, 12:20 AM   #12
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Great idea!

I had not seen those before!

rc
Old September 1, 2014, 12:22 AM   #13
WestKentucky

What is that trigger cover intended for? I might look at that as a Christmas gift idea for a friend who keeps a 26 stuffed between his carseats. Tie that joker off to the seat frame and it's instantly a safer and better carry setup for his improvised driving setup.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:35 AM   #14
Doors

I have a Kel-Tec P32 and I clip holster it but I also use a Kydex trigger cover.

When I IWB I secure the parachute cord to a belt loop and when I draw the Kydex trigger cover just snaps out. It's a very good system.

Last edited by Doors; September 1, 2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:37 AM   #15
Doors

uploadfromtaptalk1409546216261.jpg
Old September 1, 2014, 08:19 AM   #16
OneSevenDeuce

It's scary to see how some people carry.
Old September 1, 2014, 09:37 AM   #17
Zerodefect

Get a Crossbreed holster for IWB. Pocket carry stinks, for me.
Old September 1, 2014, 11:25 AM   #18
AK103K

For those so sure that a Glock will discharge, on its own, if a holster isnt used, how have you carried one that the trigger did in fact trip while doing so?

These days, I normally carry Glocks on a daily basis, and after hearing all the "reports" and "promises" that they will fire on their own, if not carried in a holster, I started carrying a second, "unloaded" 17, just stuffed in my pants, pockets, etc, around the house and yard, pretty much every minute I was home, and doing all manner of things, both physical and not, for about a year and a half, and still do so pretty regularly, even now. In all that time, I have yet to find the trigger "dropped", and no matter how "reasonably" or "unreasonably" I handled the gun. Even when picked up off the workbench or table, "by" the trigger, it has yet to trip.

Now, I do normally carry using holsters. Always have. I think its the prudent thing to do, especially if youre active. There are a lot of other reasons besides the trigger to do so.

That said, my brother has carried his 19 "loaded" using a Clip Draw since they first showed up, and had no issues doing so.

Im also familiar with some of the the problems people have had with Glocks, as well as other things, but in most of those cases (and as with most things), it was user error, and not the guns fault for the problem.

If youre so sure its an issue, I challenge anyone who claims so, to try it for a while, and see if you can make it happen.

If youre the least bit reasonable in your gun handling, I think youre going to find, its not as big a deal as some will tell you.

Quote:
Great idea!

I had not seen those before!
These are becoming somewhat popular. I believe the Raven "Vanguard", was the first, and Ive seen a couple of others making them now as well. They can be had with the lanyard, or a "pull the dot" belt loop as well.

I tried the Vanguard when the first showed up, and while they seem to work, they are something you need to try, to see if they are for you. I found I didnt like them.

Quote:
It's scary to see how some people carry.
It is. Its also scary people dont do their homework "themselves" and prove or disprove their choices are viable and safe, or not.

Quote:
Get a Crossbreed holster for IWB. Pocket carry stinks, for me.
It does for me as well. To much other junk in my pockets for one, and the type pants I wear, dont make getting things out of them quickly, easy.

I normally carry my 17 in a IWB holster, and my 26, in either an ankle holster, or lately, a Smart Carry.

Ive come to find that the Smart Carry is one of the most versatile holsters I have, and I have them for a number of handguns of varying sizes.

With the Smart Carry, you dont need pockets. You dont need a belt or cover garment as well. In fact, you can wear a pair of shorts or sweat pants without a shirt at all.

Zeitgeist -- The Movie.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:17 PM   #19
OneSevenDeuce

I don't think anyone is saying that a Glock will fire on its own. However you must realize that the argument " I've never had a problem" is not sufficient to base a decision on. The concern is whether carrying any pistol with the trigger unprotected is reasonably safe. And it is a valid argument to claim no. He'll, even carrying in a holster is not entirely without risk.
Old September 1, 2014, 12:30 PM   #20
AK103K

Nothing is without risk.

Im simply asking how many who say it is "overly risky", or more risky than anything else, have actually carried one in that manner, to know, one way or the other.

My personal, and actual experience has been, if youre reasonable in your gun handling, its not any more risky, than anything else.

Zeitgeist -- The Movie.
Old September 1, 2014, 01:10 PM   #21
OneSevenDeuce

It's inherently riskier because you are adding another variable into the mix. But I get what you are saying. For me, yes it is a needless risk considering the great options that are out there in terms of holsters. But even if you don't care about the safety aspect, I still think holsters are a good idea. They keep your weapon secure and sitting in one place. This alone has benefits for ease of draw and repeatability. What I consider overly risky is purposefully not taking a safety precaution that costs you little to nothing in terms of trouble, comfort, and expense. It's like wearing a seatbelt. Most of us won't get into car accidents everyday, but just in case it costs you nothing to put it on.
Old September 1, 2014, 01:46 PM   #22
AK103K

Quote:
It's inherently riskier because you are adding another variable into the mix.
And with any of them, not just Glocks.

Quote:
But even if you don't care about the safety aspect, I still think holsters are a good idea.
Oh, I agree. A good (and with the emphasis on "good") holster is a good idea, "most" of the time.

I normally use one, but Im not opposed to not using one, if the need should arise. But Im basing that on actual use, and not internet conjecture or rumor.

Quote:
What I consider overly risky is purposefully not taking a safety precaution that costs you little to nothing in terms of trouble, comfort, and expense.
The last one isnt normally "cheap", at least for the good stuff.

Some of the cheaper holsters are actually scarier to me, from a safety standpoint, than not using one at all.

I dont see the Clip Draw being an issue, if youre reasonable in your gun handling and its use. As long as youre paying attention, I think its as safe as anything else.

If youre not paying attention..... same as anything else.

Zeitgeist -- The Movie.
Old September 1, 2014, 04:34 PM   #23
OneSevenDeuce

I agree. It's not just GLOCKs. However I will say that always using a holster is a rule for me. Not because of what I expect to happen, but because of what I don't expect. In a fight, if someone knocks me over, we tussle on the ground, I want that trigger covered. Just one example, the list goes on. But I don't expect to change anyone's mind by rambling on the internet. We will all do what we are comfortable with.
Old September 1, 2014, 04:43 PM   #24
rcmodel
Contributing Member

Quote:
have you carried one that the trigger did in fact trip while doing so?
No.
But I haven't been struck by lightening either.

Then again, I would not carry a loaded Glock in my pants without the trigger covered on a bet.
Any more then I would stand under the tallest tree in the area during a lightening storm.

If nothing else, a pocket holster will keep a whole bunch of belly-button lint out of a guns innards.
And sweat from causing corrosion.

rc
Old September 1, 2014, 04:49 PM   #25
OneSevenDeuce

Also, on the cost issue, if you are willing to spend several hundred dollars on a gun, then why go cheap on a holster? You can get a very good holster for 50-75 dollars. I usually spend about 100 for a crossbreed with the features I want, but you don't have to spend THAT much. It's like buying a nice car and then putting cheap oil in it. Why?