Quantcast
Just bought my first SIG...Have stupid questions. - THR
THR  

Go Back   THR > Tools and Technologies > Handguns: Autoloaders

Welcome to THR
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have, access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit the help section.

Old September 2, 2014, 08:19 PM   #1
HisStigness

Just bought my first SIG...Have stupid questions.

I just picked up a lightly used P226 on armslist. I got to shoot it today and it is a superb firearm. I thought the SIG-Sauer line was complicated enough with all of its variations that are assigned seemingly random numbers, but the more I dig the more confused I become about what I actually bought.
What I know:
-It's a P226 in 9mm
-It is the basic model; no night sights, standard barrel, straight black
-It was manufactured sometime in 2012
-It looks like this (see picture)

Questions I have:
1. I am aware of the now discontinued E2 variation of the P226. Did they just make the E2 the standard model, or did they pick and choose features to keep and drop? It looks like the grips are E2 style, but the slide release might not be?
2. Assuming the grips are the smaller E2 style, can I opt for the larger old style grips? The gun feels nice in the hand, but I would like a little more meat up toward the beavertail area.
3. Does it have the short reset trigger? The reset doesn't seem bad at all to me, but I have nothing to compare it to.
4. I use the thumbs forward shooting style, so I have issues with the slide not locking back after the last shot. I'm looking to order a factory slide stop that I can modify to suit my style a little better. Do I just order a standard P226 slide stop?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P226.JPG (172.4 KB, 61 views)
Old September 2, 2014, 08:42 PM   #2
JTQ

Quote:
4. I use the thumbs forward shooting style, so I have issues with the slide not locking back after the last shot. I'm looking to order a factory slide stop that I can modify to suit my style a little better. Do I just order a standard P226 slide stop?
This video may help with this problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLuLKLQCMc
Old September 2, 2014, 09:11 PM   #3
HexHead

That's an E2 model, you can tell by the extractor. And they are now the standard model. IIRC, you can put on the older screw on grips.

The SRT only comes standard on the Elite models and ones with the extended beavertail.

"And a bayonet Sir! With some guts behind it!" (CS Bourne)
Old September 2, 2014, 09:22 PM   #4
tipoc

Quote:
1. I am aware of the now discontinued E2 variation of the P226. Did they just make the E2 the standard model, or did they pick and choose features to keep and drop? It looks like the grips are E2 style, but the slide release might not be?
2. Assuming the grips are the smaller E2 style, can I opt for the larger old style grips? The gun feels nice in the hand, but I would like a little more meat up toward the beavertail area.
3. Does it have the short reset trigger? The reset doesn't seem bad at all to me, but I have nothing to compare it to.
The questions aren't stupid.

Some of them a fella that knows Sigs well can come along and answer. Or the Sig forum is there for a reference...http://sigforum.com/eve/forums

On the stocks: There are options available. Sig offers some...
https://www.sigsauer.com/StoreProductList/grips-65.aspx

and other stocks are available from a good many manufacturers. You just have to look.

Others will know about the trigger. I don't.

On the thumbs forward issue. If your thumb is activating the slide release when you don't want it to and preventing the slide from locking back you have two choices:

1. You can modify the gun to eliminate your problem. The up side is the slide will now lock back when you want it to. The down side is that the problem is not resolved as the mod is a work around.

2. You can learn to keep your thumb away from the slide release. The upside is that you actually solve the problem and it will work on any gun that you pick up and shoot not just the ones you have modified to get around your issue (and it's your issue and not the guns).The downside? It involves actual work, paying attention and patience. You may also find that the problem is not what you think it is but limp wristing or something else.

I vote for number two but my vote don't count. Of course if you have an unhumanely big thumb ignore the above.

tipoc
Old September 2, 2014, 09:55 PM   #5
9mmepiphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisStigness View Post
Questions I have:
Unless the slide is marked (lazer etched) E2 (squared), it isn't. It was a limited run targeted at shooters with small hands.

The E Squared model consisted of the 1-piece grips, SRT and Short (thinner) trigger.

It is hard to tell from the angle presented, but your trigger doesn't look like the Short one

Quote:
Yes, you can.

There are screw holes in the frame under the grips. You just have to pop off the one piece grips and install the grips of your choice.

One of the downsides to the E Squared grip is that it forces the hand lower on the frame

Quote:
The only way to tell is to compare it to another SIG.

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old September 3, 2014, 12:44 AM   #6
RustyShackelford

E2 discontinued?.....

Did SIG Sauer end the E2 series?
I wonder why? Are they returning to the older rounder format grips?

I'm not very fond of the "newer" E2 line. Old type P series SIGs had one of the best grips for my left hand(right hand too, ).
The Smith & Wesson third generation of the 1980s-late 2000s with the round type grip felt very good too. Only those S&Ws & the older SIGs fit my strong hand best.

Rusty

Andre Agassi
Old September 3, 2014, 01:46 AM   #7
Highcaliber

Sig staff says that ALL current production P226 pistols now have what they call the "E2 slide". Not sure of the actual dimensional changes on the slide other than the full height rear cocking serrations and long extractor.

The reset on an SRT will be approx 4mm of trigger travel before reset click is felt. A big difference from the standard trigger reset.
Old September 3, 2014, 02:51 AM   #8
9mmepiphany

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyShackelford View Post
Did SIG Sauer end the E2 series?
I wonder why? Are they returning to the older rounder format grips?
Yes, it was just a limited run...mostly to introduce the 1-piece grips and the 229-1 frames.

After the run ended and grips become optional and the (-1) frame became standard for the 229

Correct Grip
DA Trigger Management
How to Dryfire and Hit Stuff

Forum Rules
Old September 3, 2014, 09:59 AM   #9
bannockburn

I have P229R E2 and love the way the grips fit my smaller sized hands. The SRT trigger is great too and a welcome improvement over the one on a P226 I had years ago.
Old September 3, 2014, 12:28 PM   #10
1KPerDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmepiphany View Post
The only way to tell is to compare it to another SIG.
Or look at the safety lever/sear...
Old September 3, 2014, 12:32 PM   #11
1KPerDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcaliber View Post
Sig staff says that ALL current production P226 pistols now have what they call the "E2 slide". Not sure of the actual dimensional changes on the slide other than the full height rear cocking serrations and long extractor.
All 226s have always had full height cocking serrations.
Old September 3, 2014, 03:13 PM   #12
Nathan Detroit

Regarding the slide catch lever, there are only two available. The standard one is the one that came on your gun and the alternative is the competition one that normally is found on the X5s: http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-slid...8-p229-e2.html

If you look carefully, you will notice that the thumb pad is reversed. If you do go that route, you may have to bend the thumb pad to clear your grips. Be careful that you don't crack the metal.