1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AR Buffer Tube Removal

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by modifiedbrowning, Dec 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modifiedbrowning

    modifiedbrowning Member

    Dec 25, 2002
    Bozeman, MT
    I have a collapsible stock on its way, so I have been messing with my lower trying to remove the buffer tube. This thing will not come off! :cuss: I looked over at Arf.com and there was a suggestion to place the lower in the fridge. I'm gonna try that, but does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks.
  2. borderguy

    borderguy Member

    Dec 17, 2003
    NW WA
    I had the same problem get the buffer tube & stock off my firle. I ended uo using a pipe wrench very carefully. I ended up with just one small mark on the buffer tube.
  3. NMshooter

    NMshooter Member

    Jun 13, 2004
    If you have an armorers wrench or similar tool there is a slot which fits the flats on the stepped down portion of the receiver extention (buffer tube) so you can unscrew it. If it was assembled with some sort of thread lock you will need a vise with padded jaws or a lower receiver block (usually plastic piece that fits into the magazine well, you stick the block into the vise and the receiver onto it).

    Good luck, and be patient. :)
  4. Bullet

    Bullet Member

    Jan 20, 2003
    Try a strap wrench.
  5. Onmilo

    Onmilo Member

    Jul 26, 2004
    Put the receiver in an AR Vise Block and secure in a bench vise.
    Play a propane torch over the buffer tube threads and the rear of the receiver until they become uncomfrotable hot.
    Let cool a bit and then use an armorers wrench to break the buffer tube free.
    Most manufacturers use a bit of Loc-Tite or similar product to secure the tube and heat works best to free the seal.
    Jesus christ it's christmas and somebody is making issue over nomenclature
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  6. kaferhaus

    kaferhaus Member

    Nov 26, 2004
    Mobile, Alabama
    Must be a different AR than I've ever worked on

    I've never seen "screws" holding the buffer tube to the reciever... One holds the stock to the buffer tube, but the buffer tube itself is threaded and screws directly into the rear of the receiver...

    I always remove really tight ones with a strap wrench (Sears sells em). Most of the time an armorers wrench is plenty if you just hold the reciever securely.
  7. Powderman

    Powderman Member

    Dec 25, 2002
    Washington State
    The armorer's wrench is just the ticket if you have one.

    If not, a good Crescent wrench will also work. Here's how to get a tight tube off.

    1. Remove the buttstock, and the innards from the lower receiver. Leave the pistol grip on.

    2. Prop the lower receiver so that the buffer tube is lower than the rest of the receiver, with the pistol grip down.

    3. Squirt a good amount of Kroil on the exposed threads where the buffer retaining pin is. (You DID remove the buffer, right?) Let it sit for about 2 hours. After the time has elapsed, take a small hammer and tap lightly around the part of the receiver where the buffer tube screws in. This will help further distribute the Kroil.

    4. Lay the receiver flat on a sturdy table, with just the end of the buffer tube off the table.

    5. Attach the Crescent wrench (preferably, a 12") so that you have to push down on the wrench to loosen. The threads are conventional; CCW to loosen. Make sure that you wriggle the wrench while tightening the thumbscrew, so that the wrench is TIGHT. You want absolutely NO play for the next step.

    6. If you have applied the wrench and tightened it correctly, it should be firm on the flats at the end of the tube, and should stay there. Make sure that the wrench is horizontal, or slightly below.

    7. Hold the receiver flat on the table, with the pistol grip under your hand as you hold the receiver. Put some weight on it for the next step.

    8. Take a hammer, and rap the end of the wrench smartly. The tube should come loose readily.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page