1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can a Texas resident use a Utah or Fla CCW ?

Discussion in 'Legal' started by S&W 910, Jun 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S&W 910

    S&W 910 Member

    Oct 13, 2005
    Can a Texas resident who cant get a Texas CCW because of a sudent loan use a non-resident ccw permit from a state like Florida or Utah to legally carry in Texas ?

    Or if you live in Texas ,you have to have a Texas CCW to carry ,like the state of Georgia

    Also,if you have a ccw ,but do not have a firearm on you,do you have to tell the officer you have a carry permit even though unarmed

    Thank you for all responses
  2. mec

    mec Member

    Dec 27, 2002
    Just off the top of my head-Probably.

    Once you have become a texas resident and the out of state license expires, you are supposed to get a texas license. what with all the intricacies surrounding residency I don't see how the gov. could track that situation very effectively-if at all. Texas reciprocity doesn't distinguish between resident and out of state licenses from the various states and they also don't look for defaults on student loans on routine traffic stops.
  3. Gray Peterson

    Gray Peterson Member

    Dec 24, 2002
    Lynnwood, Washington
    The answer on this question is yes. Certain states forbid a home state resident from using another state's permit to substitute for the home state one for various reasons. Missouri is more famous for this "loophole", but there are other states that do by operation of law.

    Texas DPS has stated multiple times that permits from other states that they have a reciprocity agreement with is valid, REGARDLESS of the state residency of the person in question. They may not like it, and it may not prevent the cops from running you in for whatever reason (which you can sue for damages later), but it is legal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page