Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eye opening experience

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by feedthehogs, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feedthehogs

    feedthehogs Member

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2003
    Messages:
    1,801
    Got back last month from a visit to the Philly area. I grew up there, but moved as soon as I could afford a car. I disliked the North for some reason.

    Most my family is still up there and I hadn't been up in over 5 years.
    My nephew, who is really a southern boy at heart and I get along great.

    While up there I got a call from him if I wanted to do a ride along. You see he's a cop in a Philly suburb.
    I thought riding in the front seat of a cop car would be a different experience so I jumped on it.

    I did an afternoon shift with him on a Saturday. I got to admit my eyes were opened.

    I found I did not have the patience or attitude to be a cop.
    Domestic calls, theft calls, chasing suspects in cars. Nothing that required him pulling his gun, but some good stops.

    After hearing the stupid, belligerent excuses and attitudes of people when most of the time we were there to help, or responding to their call, just boggled my mind.
    I found myself wanting to grab his nightstick and beat the crap out of a few.

    I can't condone bad behavior by the cops, but maybe understand a little more why it happens and I also realized how quickly I would be in trouble if I were one.

    I got to admit though, driving down the road over 90 with the lights flashing and siren on touched that little boy in me that still likes to play.

    At one point my nephew looked at me and replied, he never saw such a wide smile in his life.
     
  2. Graystar

    Graystar Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2002
    Messages:
    1,756
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Maybe that's why police departments are generally against citizens carrying guns. All they see is the worst of society and figure "I don't want THESE people carrying guns!"

    Did you ask him how many calls on alleged self-defense shootings he's had to answer?
     
  3. TheFederalistWeasel

    TheFederalistWeasel member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2003
    Messages:
    796
    Location:
    Tennessee
    You grow numb to it, just as a Doctor grows numb to blood-guts and death.

    After a while you just drone on and 99% of what you see and hear affects you no more because you’ve seen it before, until that last 1% shows up and does something extraordinarily creative or stupid, depending on the phase of the moon.

    I’ve been in LE for almost 5 years, local SO, got out of it and now I’m on my way back in after a 6 year sabbatical so to speak.

    I’ve heard hundreds of stories about why someone needed to drive 90 mph and I’ve had to fight a few who just made up their minds they were not going to jail today, they always lost, including the one who got away, but left me standing in the middle of the state highway with his car, drivers license and a company ID clipped to his sun visor.

    Needless to say very little energy was expended catching up to this guy.

    I truly believe that 10% of the population supports and makes up for the shortcomings of the remaining 90%.

    As far a cops and CCW, most cops I know look at it this way, and so do I.

    The guy I had to lock up for battery, possession with intent, burglary or robbery, I do not want carrying a gun period. The guy I will never meet, I want him armed to the teeth to insure that, I, most likely will never meet him except to collect the body from his living room at 4 in the morning and then interview him over coffee at the station ultimately filing a report to the county solicitor in favor of justifiable homicide.
     
  4. Chipperman

    Chipperman Member

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2002
    Messages:
    4,572
    Location:
    Essex Co, MA
    "The guy I will never meet, I want him armed to the teeth to insure that, I, most likely will never meet him except to collect the body from his living room at 4 in the morning and then interview him over coffee at the station ultimately filing a report to the county solicitor in favor of justifiable homicide"

    Thank you for your support! :cool:
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page