1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.


Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by jester5167, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jester5167

    jester5167 Member

    Apr 4, 2007
    I was looking over the requirements for getting a FFL. Is it not possible to get one out of your house for the sole purpose of transfers or do they require having a business address?

    I was interested in getting one to help out the local area with FFL transfers and to make things easier on myself for getting weapons from out of state. FFL dealers seem to be getting harder and harder to find.

    Thanks in advance.

    GSDFAN Member

    Mar 16, 2007
    Most anything you will need to know about requlations concerning FFL can be found at the ATF website:http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm.
    Belive it or not, you can e mail them a general question and they will respond within a few days!
  3. RNB65

    RNB65 Member

    Apr 19, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Yes and no. You must have a place of business complete with local business license to operate. If your local zoning ordinances allow you to operate a small business out of your house, it can be your place of business. As part of the FFL application process, an ATF agent will visit your place of business to make sure that it's legit and that you have a business license.

    Most of the guns I buy are transferred in the kitchen of my local FFL dealer who works out of his house. He's also a Class 3/SOT dealer, so if I ever save up the big bucks I can also buy a machine gun while sitting at his kitchen table. :cool:
  4. Neo-Luddite

    Neo-Luddite Member

    Sep 13, 2006
    Northwest IL--the other 'Downstate'
    The big thing is that to be a 'home' FFL type 1 your home must be a place where you can legally operate a business (zoning) in your area. On the ap you are certfying for ATF that you can operate your business there.
    Your Police Department will be notified (you must sumbit a duplicate form to them) and they are to notify ATF if they have any problem with your appllication for an FFL-including zoning.

    A C/R type 3 FFL will let you buy C/R listed guns but won't make you a 'dealer' in any sense except under certain vagueries of the law in some states and areas. Zoning laws don't apply. Type 3 is the 'box' many (myself included) people got forced into because we wanted to do what you are contemplating but lived in a place with zoning restrictions. It's cheaper to get the type-3 but you can't order new guns through interstate commerce or engage in the business of selling guns--you do get dealer pricing from many companies on ammo and such and many of the same 'perks' a type 1 dealer gets.

    Request the forms from the ATF and the books on regulations and do some reading. Once you figure out their rather odd user interface, the ATF sends froms and such out very quickly and at no charge. They have an application ' kit' for type 1 and type 3 FFL's which has the fingerprint cards etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page