Discussion in 'Handloading and Reloading' started by Fishingted, Mar 13, 2021.
Expectation 1: shouldn't they pay return shipping for warranty repair? Dunno, I don't know what warranty is. "We'll repair/replace?" or "we'll provide replacement parts?"
Expectation 2: If they'll repair/replace warranty ... seems like they should provide a return shipping label AS IS ... including the 10lbs of solidified lead. If you're willing to forgo said metal.
Caveat: I don't cast, don't melt, no experience with furnace, just working off a "under warranty" situation.
-jb, so tired of dealing with warranties
You may have to do it in stages. Melt some and ladle it out, then melt some more and so forth.
It may take a while and several iterations. Propane torches are plenty hot enough but it depends on how much BTU’s you lose to the atmosphere. If you can get some help with a second torch, things wii go quicker.
My thoughts exactly. Tilt it down and get a river of lead trickling into an ingot mold or some other pot. Saves you from ladling it all out and should go fairly quickly.
Thanks for the vidio. I would really like to try it without emptying the pot if posible.
Why not. it's not connected to anything.
They did send me both parts. I don't know which one Failed It made a heck of A Pop when it went. Scared me Good. Hopefully when I disasemble... it will be obvious which part blew. I am thinking Coil.
I had melted 1 pot for trial. Poured some ingots. Second time using it, I heard a loud pop, and the breaker kicked out in the panel. Took to controller box apart and found the controller fried. The element gave me a good ohm reading, so I ordered one controller off Lee's site, paying only shipping. I didn't bother contacting them, just wanted to get it back to running.
With new controller installed, I plugged the pot in, heard a slight buzzing, then a faint pop. Controller fried again, this time no ohm reading from the element. Contacted Lee, after some emails, they shipped a relabeled box, I sent it in, and got it back within a 10-12 day window.
Since then, the pot have melted well over 1000 lb of lead and alloys with no incidence.
Intermittent or changing indications is any technicians worst case scenario. Power supplies are my.least favorite thing to figure
seeing as I have both parts I will replace both of them.
Yeah, in hind sight if I had jumped the power wires I would have found it sooner. In the first controller I seen that the contact point was burnt, and a good element ohm reading, I assumed that was the issue.
My experience is in tooling, with minimal electrical background, mostly hobby.
In a scenario such as this again my experience has shown that when something like this happens both parts are stressed and when one fails the other has been weakened. Heat does strange things to electrical parts.
Yep thinking same thing. If you have both parts it only makes sense to use them. Hopefull one and done. Gonna attempt the repair tomorrow.
Separate names with a comma.