1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help Identifying S&W 38 Spcl, to find gun part

Discussion in 'Handguns: Revolvers' started by SLMPDcitycop, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SLMPDcitycop

    SLMPDcitycop Member

    Aug 2, 2006
    Attached are photo's of a .38 Spcl S&W I inherited. The rough textured part that screws in to the front of the pin that you press to eject the cartridges (Sorry I do not know the name of the part) is missing.

    I wanted to order the part from e-gunparts.com, but cannot figure out what model the gun is or what the specific part is called. The gun is about 30 years old or more. The only marking I can find on the gun is on the inside of the cylinder on the frame "6098" any help you be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Attached Files:

  2. XavierBreath

    XavierBreath Member

    Jan 6, 2003
    Your gun is over 100 years old. What you have appears to be a Model of 1899 Hand Ejector M&P. The grips are not original. It should have hard rubber round butt grips, or plain walnut grips. The nickel finish may or may not be original, only Roy Jinks can say for certain. If the hammer and trigger are nickeled, the finish is not original.

    The knurled knob on the front of the ejector rod is frequently missing on these. They are next to impossible to find. I got tired of the hole in my 1899's ejector rod and made my own knob from a screw. A little turning with a Dremel and a little shaving with a file yeilded a passable knob/hole filler.

    Parts for the lockwork are also next to impossible to find. Shoot only low pressure ammo, and only after a gunsmith has checked it out.

    Reproduction grips can be had from Vintage Gun Grips.

    Here's my Model of 1899. It's covered with honest patina, and has the original grips.


    Even in poor condition, the Model of 1899 is listed in Supica's Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 2nd edition at $250.
  3. Jim K

    Jim K Member

    Dec 31, 2002
    FWIW, that part is called the extractor rod head, and they are just about impossible to find. A gunsmith should be able to make one, but the cost would be high.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page