1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to This

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by Boothdt, Oct 14, 2011.

  1. Boothdt

    Boothdt New Member

    Jan 18, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    So forgive my ignorance and/or overlooking if there's already a thread or sticky on this but, I was hoping to register or buy or otherwise go about acquiring a Short Barreled Rifle and I don't know the first thing about it. I'm also hesitant about emailing the ATF .gov page sounding like some kind of nitwit, so instead I'll sound like a nitwit on here :). I browsed though the pdf forms on the page but couldn't find anything helpful.
    Ideally I'd jump through w/e hoops and pay whatever fees I needed then have the barrel on my Mossberg 930 chopped down by a smith. The gas system on that working with a shorter barrel will be a different post:)

    I was hoping to get the full run down if anyone cared to help.
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Sam1911

    Sam1911 Moderator

    Oct 22, 2007
    Central PA
    If you want to make it yourself, you'll need to fill out the ATF's Form 5320.1 ("Form 1") to make and register an NFA firearm.

    You'll need to fill out the appropriate fingerprint card, get your local chief law enforcement officer to sign off on the form, and send them in with your $200 check.

    While you're waiting on that you can have the new required information engraved on the gun.

    Once you get your approved form and canceled tax stamp back, THEN you can fire up your hacksaw or take the barrel into the local gunsmith to be cut.
  3. GoingQuiet

    GoingQuiet Member

    Jun 10, 2010
    Melbourne, FL

Share This Page