1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd cc question

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by BWarwick, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BWarwick

    BWarwick Member

    Oct 28, 2010
    Houston, Tx
    Hey everyone. Im trying to work through the best way to get my cc permit and I could use a little help. I currently live in Texas but am moving to Kansas in about 6 months.

    I will be coming back to Texas a few times a year but I am changing my residence to Kansas so Im wondering do I get my resident permit here in Tx then get another one in six months in kansas? or do I just wait 6 months plus however long it takes to become a Kansas resident? or is there some other option Im unaware of?

    Thanks in advance hope this post makes sense heh.
  2. 2ndAmFan

    2ndAmFan Member

    Feb 2, 2009
    Texas has a reciprocal agreement with Kansas on CC, but there's a catch:

    "A valid license, issued by any other state or the District of Columbia, to carry concealed weapons
    shall be recognized as valid in this state, but only while the holder is not a resident of Kansas, if the attorney
    general determines that standards for issuance of such license or permit by such state or district are equal
    to or greater than the standards imposed by this act. The attorney general shall maintain and publish a list of
    such states and district which the attorney general determines have standards equal to or greater than the
    standards imposed by this act.
    The provisions of this subsection shall take effect and be in force from and after January 1, 2007."

    You can't use a Texas CC permit in Kansas if you're a Kansas resident. If spending money twice is a factor you should wait until you're a Kansas resident to get the permit. If not, you can get one here then get one there. If you do that your Texas permit should be good until you're a legal resident of Kansas, as far as I can tell. I'm no expert and if I were you I would contact the Kansas AG's office just to be sure.
  3. Tilos

    Tilos Member

    Jan 13, 2010
    Been there done that...different states though.

    I had CCW in one state, working 2 years in another.
    I kept my CCW, Driver's Lic, etc. and got residence card in the 2nd state.
    With that resident card, I could buy "stuff".
    Many people have winter or summer homes in different states and dealing with this common.

    The hard part, for me, was getting my guns to the 2nd state, 3000 miles away, with driving or flying being the only 2 options.

    Another annoyance was the local Barney Fife stopping me for no front tag and then dogging me until I got a 2nd state tag.

    So it can be done...just reach for you wallet and pay the taxes (oops fees).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page