Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by HPCadm17, May 30, 2019.
Cartridges, now that is another story. 357 Sig, I never saw a reason why the cartridge. But now I seem to be drawn in to it now. Not sure why, but for no good reason I have this hankering.
Just dont know why I'd ever do that.
As a 30+ year pawnbroker I hate buying new things. Other than food and underwear, of course. I have a whopping two guns bought new. All the rest of the firearms I own are bought with a certain level of experience down their barrels.
As for the OP's thoughts, I too have a soft spot for M-1's and Garrands. Actually, any WWII Allied rifles. I think all the sources for new ones dried up long ago.
I'm mostly a revolver, lever rifle, black powder or .22 LR guy.
Just took delivery of an Extar EP9. Totally out of character and caliber. We all have moments of madness.
Now where I got out of character was for as long as I could remember I was a traditionalist: nothing but a blued steel/wood stock kind of guy; especially when it came to handguns. None of this part polymer/part aluminum alloy construction; it had to be steel and wood or else I wasn't interested.
Then I came across a used HK P9 in .45. Hmmm... definitely not your typical 1911 but yet I found it rather intriguing. And this was a spur of the moment kind of thing; normally I took months to think it over and come up with a plan for getting one. Most certainly out of character for me!
And I liked it and I was hooked! From there it was an easy transition to other guns that used polymer or aluminum in their design. Bought a Browning BDA .45 and a very early Glock 17. Nowadays my traditional handguns (semi-autos and revolvers), in my collection run about 60% and the non-traditional ones make-up the remaining 40%. Not a bad ratio for a former dyed-in-the-wool, 100% all steel and wood aficionado!
I don't really shoot them a lot but I do like assembling one on occasion. Mostly I assemble in a DMR style as I like shooting at 600 Meters when I do take them out. I do have a couple of legal 16" M4 Styles with Red Dots for 3-Gun Style Stuff. But it is really more about putting them together and proving the build. After that I tend to loose interest.
Just wanted to get something different from my regular purchases, typically M1911 pistols and black rifles.
Then was only into Makarovs, for the most part, but recently the Sig P6 (‘01) and 228 (‘94), plus a CZ PCR/75D.
Separate names with a comma.