1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Purchasing a supressor for dummies

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by R.W.Dale, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.W.Dale

    R.W.Dale Member

    Oct 14, 2005
    Northwest Arkansas
    This is kind of a sticky request by me for those much more knowledgeable on this subject. With regards to obtaining a suppressor through all the proper channels Ive not seen the procedure, cost and hoops you have to jump through outlined in plain simple A to B to C order. I know such a sticky would be useful for me and I'm sure others as well.
  2. CoRoMo

    CoRoMo Member

    Sep 21, 2007
    Californicated Colorado
    Good thread. I hope PTK stops by and gives us a few thoughts on creating a living trust.

    If I were to touch on the topic, I would want to include the following links:

    Living Trust & Suppressors: DIY
    Taking the Trust route to the NFA...
    Use of the Revocable Trust to Purchase NFA Items
    How to set up a revocable living trust to purchase National Firearms Act (NFA) or Class 3 weapons

    The living trust route can get you around a CLEO that doesn't want to sign off on your ATF form, or if you just don't want to send any more photos and fingerprints to the bureau.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  3. RyanM

    RyanM Member

    Jan 4, 2005
    The hoops should be the same for any NFA item.

    1. Purchase the thing you want.
    2. If applicable, wait for it to ship to your local dealer.
    3. 99.99% dealers will help you out with the paperwork. Fill out your form 4 in duplicate, and there's another form I forget the number of. And you need 2 FBI fingerprint cards, that I forget the number of. Your Class 2/3/72/whatever dealer will know (if not, you probably shouldn't buy from them).
    4. If filing as an individual, have your county sheriff, chief of police, or whatever the highest ranking police officer in your county is, sign both copies of the Form 4. If the sheriff won't sign, write the BATF and ask for a list of individuals whose signatures they would accept, and ask them one by one. Your local dealer also may have ideas.
    5. Get your fingerprints taken, and printed out in duplicate on the cards. Once again, your local dealer should be able to tell you where's the best. In PA, the state police will do it free of charge.
    6. Get 2 passport-sized color photos taken.
    7. Affix the photos to both copies of the Form 4. Some people are superstitious about this part. I used Scotch tape.
    8. Mail both copies of the Form 4, both copies of the other form, both fingerprint cards, and a check or money order for $5 (AOW only) or $200 (everything else), to the ATF. Mine was a personal check payable to "Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives," which just barely fit on the payee line. Everyone has their own idea of what to write on there to make it go through faster, but that's what worked for me.
    9. The hardest part. Wait.
    10. Notification will be sent to your dealer, not to you, so you'll need to wait for them to call/e-mail/whatever.
    10a. If your application is turned down and you don't want to try again, you are legally allowed to sell the NFA item. It's your property since you paid for it, but you cannot legally possess your own property until it's registered to you. So in other words, it doesn't belong to your dealer, and your transactions with him to resell the thing should be from that perspective. I'd say it is reasonable to still pay the transfer fee even though it didn't go through, though. The dealer still did the same amount of work.
    11. Take possession!
    12. It's a felony for anyone to possess a Title II item which is not registered to them, and being in the same room as a Title II item while the owner is not at least somewhat present, constitutes possession. If you live with anyone else, you'll need a safe if you don't already have one, which only you have the key/combination to.
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  4. LiquidTension

    LiquidTension Member

    Jan 28, 2003
  5. sgtdevildog

    sgtdevildog Member

    May 19, 2006
    I'm just starting the same process myself - as I understand it here's the revocable living trust route: I had a local attorney (who was a member of a gunboard) draw up a simple living trust - you need to have a trustee (me) co-trustee, beneficiary and three members to serve as a board to keep things honest. It required the signature of myself and co-trustee and be notarized. There was a schedule attached of trust property which included a couple non-titled items. Once signed and notarized copies are made and taken with you to file with the forms sent to the BATFE. No LEO sigs, fingerprints, etc. The BATFE then approves the trust and issues tax stamp for approval. I wait, get stamp and pick up goodies. You then list the NFA item on your schedule and any future submissions must show all NFA items currently owned by the trust. Now this is in Georgia, and it may not be quite as simple as I've been led to believe, but that's how I'm going with it now - I'll update as I progress. I should have signatures/notarized by monday and may go following weekend to Class III shop "shopping". At this point I'm looking at a separate can for a 22. I'll keep folks posted.
  6. shotgunjoel

    shotgunjoel Member

    Nov 15, 2008
    I don't really want dummies to even purchase guns!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page