no bueno for taking it afield. The 1889 was replaced by the Model 1894 but leftover parts were used to assemble 1889s up until about 1905. Naturally, replacement parts aren't exactly common. My initial plan was to find a gunsmith to TIG up the hammer and recut the notches but that never happened. Last weekend on a lark I did an online search for "Marlin 1889 hammer" and found an original at Old Arms of Idaho. I decided to take a chance and I'm glad I did. The new-to-me hammer arrived today. It's in much better shape than the one that my rifle came with. Note that it has a roller bearing for the flat mainspring. The notches look good. This afternoon I swapped it into the gun and it now passes push-off testing at half and full cock. I may take it into the woods this fall after deer if I can find a good spot where the shots won't be more than 60 yards or so. However, I'll probably have to temporarily put better sights on the rifle because I won't be able to see the existing sights in anything other than broad daylight.