Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by PapaG, Dec 19, 2018.
I found a link on THR a few years back. A little search should get you hooked up. Worth the effort.
The History of the Decline and fall of The Roman Empire, by Edward Gibbon. That one should available on your state's library's website as a Gutenburg Press free read:
This is Wisconsin's website: https://www.more.lib.wi.us/
I believe all the States have this, under different names; Minnesota's is MN Link, etc. Just google <State> library online or something to that effect.
Downloadable PDF for $8
You may be thinking of "Enemies, Foreign and Domestic" which is the first book in a trilogy by Matt Bracken, a former Seal who's been writing for a number of years now.
He was tarred as being part of "the militia movement" of the era, without cause or evidence nor warrant thereof.
Which may have had more to do with the "who/whom" of the buyers at the time. There was similar angst over those buying The Anarchist's Cookbook as well, in equally futile fashion (e.g. waste of alphabet agencies' time).
I brought the pdf and then downloaded it onto thumbdrives as gifts to all of my kids. Makes for a inexpensive stocking stuffer.
couple small issues:
1. He says Kennedy was on his boat shooting an select fire AR-15, wouldn't that be an M16 since the AR15 was semi only?
2. When Henry saw all the pictures in the book about the Nazi camps and comments about how some of the guns are not loaded, the picture quality at that time wouldn't be good enough for him to tell imaging and printing quality wasn't that good yet.
3. Henry's paper that got am A+ reads more like a modern paper than a 1980's paper.
4. The M16, AR-15, etc were designed by Eugene Stoner, not Gene Stoner. Some people don't like their name being shortened and I've never seen his shortened elsewhere.
5. Pages 418 and 419, typos CMC instead of GMC. The Typhone (and Syclone) were AWD not full time four wheel drive and and GM didn't put independent front suspension in them as all the S10's already had independent front suspension. Also cell phones were still not in proliferation yet, he is a couple years early.
Since we sometimes pick out inaccuracies in anti's logic, I find it a good idea to correct any in ours no matter how minor so as to not give them a hole to exploit.
*IIRC, early iterations of Stoner's rifle were designated AR-15, but they were select-fire.
Separate names with a comma.