The first weekend in November is rapidly approaching. This means the opening weekend of deer season in Texas, and I have to start getting my stuff together for my drive of 753 miles SSE from the Denver area to the western edge of the Edwards Plateau in West Central Texas. My original plan was to use my brand spanking new T/C Venture in 6.5 CM as my primary hunting rifle, my 243 Tikka T3 as my backup, and use a Marlin 336 BL when I am backing up my brother (tracking stuff in heavy brush and playing porter while we are packing his deer out). Nature, however, has had other ideas. In my case, due to some combination of prevailing winds and altitude, I have never been able to sight in a rifle in Colorado and have it hold the zero at 2500 to 3000 ft lower altitude. While elevation will be close, windage tends to wander several inches. I can sight it in in Texas and take to Colorado and have a reciprocal error. And I can sight it in in Texas, take the rifle to Colorado, and take the rifle BACK to Texas and have it hold zero (I am glad I have good gun cases and transport carefully). I usually just take the new rifle down to the ranch and sight it in on our shooting range the day before hunting season (or recheck the zero as the case may be) and don't worry much about it. Mother Nature did not like this idea this year. She has blessed us with an abundance of rain. Right now, our shooting range, an old caliche pit about 175 yards long, 40 yards wide and from 1 ft to 8 ft below grade level (it was cut into the side of a hill) has from 4 to 8 inches of water standing in it. To keep to my original rifle selection, I will need to sight in the rifle at a secondary range (another old caliche pit). The problem is that the sight in distance will be short and the usual "2.5" high at 100 yards" formula that I use for the 6.5 CM won't work. Also, I will need to remember to pack my Mossberg Shockwave to clean out a rattlesnake den that is in the wall of the secondary range. It could be a lot worse. I am thankful that the "hardship" I have to endure is calculating a number of ballistics tables for the 6.5 CM for several different factory loads (I don't know what the rifle will like yet) and getting myself ready for the 12.5 hour drive that is in the near future. But the rain has continued to come, so the 243 may just get all the exercise this year. Unless we get so much rain that my week is spent working on water gaps and I have to use the Mossberg for self-protection from the snakes.