1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

row gun ownership

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by b79holmes, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b79holmes

    b79holmes Member

    Mar 28, 2010
    I am researching what the laws are in countries other than the USA on gun ownership. I know the Europeans can at least own long guns to hunt.

    Do any of them allow for the ownership of more than one handgun?

    What about the rest of the world?

  2. hso

    hso Moderator Staff Member

    Jan 3, 2003
    0 hrs east of TN


    Check all the posts from our members outside of the US. You'll see a variety of firearms in various configurations all over where individual firearms ownership is allowed (even the UK).
  3. Route666

    Route666 Member

    Feb 20, 2004
    I'll help out by giving info on my situation.

    I'm in Australia and am mainly interested in pistol shooting, I do have my father's .243 Winchester and Boito DB shotgun. I also have a Kimber rimfire 1911 and recently got a 6" 686. I'm looking to get a 4" 686, 5" 629, perhaps a 629 stealth hunter too... then a SIG P226 X-Five Allround, and a Beretta 92FS (Most likely an Inox)... and then... and then...

    There are MANY different reasons and ways to get firearms, for work, as a police officer or armed security, as an armourer, as a recreational shooter, as a competitive shooter. Each relies on different reasons and reporting requirements. Each state is slightly different however the laws are being matched so the same system is used country-wide. EDIT: Personal or property protection is and never has been a reason to own a firearm here.

    Registration of all firearms is required and automatically handled through a "permit to acquire" (PTA) system whereby your background and bureaucratic requirements are checked prior to taking delivery of a firearm.

    My situation is that I am a pistol club member, competitive shooter. For this reason I am licensed and can acquire firearms suitable for the club competitions.

    Now there are restrictions, magazine capacity maximum of 10 rounds, and for general competition shooters no calibre greater than 0.38 / 9mm / 357.

    I am endorsed for metallic silhouette which means I can purchase up to 0.45 calibre for this competition. You can also be endorsed for greater than 0.38 for shooting single action (cowboy action) competitions with 0.45 single-action revolvers, etc.

    I can own two of each calibre and action type before I need to detail a reason as to why the ones I already own are not suitable, why I need another one. So I can get two 357 revolver, two 9mm semi-autos, two .38 Super semi-autos, etc... before they need more detail on why to issue me a PTA.

    For competitive shooters (may be all handguns in my state, not sure) revolvers need a minimum barrel length of 4 inches and semi-autos 5 inches.

    As part of my pistol club's requirements (before they will issue a statement required for the PTA application that says I am a member and that what I want to purchase can be used for a competition they hold) they need to sight a "shoots paper" that says I have done 6 shoots in the type that I am applying for, of either air pistol/rimfire, revolver CF or semi-auto CF. (I actually haven't done any semi-auto CF yet, but I'm only just starting to have fun with my revolvers) Also before you can apply for the pistol license you need to have done a minimum of 6 air pistol or rimfire (or a combination).

    Also as part of the club I am a member of the rifle range too, so I got my A&B category license too. A&B category is basically rifles and shotguns that are not self-loading. There is no participation requirement for this, I just have to be a member to maintain the A&B license.

    There are obviously more detailed requirements set in the legislation, like to be classified as a concealable firearm it needs to be no longer than ____ long etc...

    One quirky rule is that if you have (and can certify with medical evidence) a bad shoulder that makes it hard on you to shoot a break or pump-action shotgun you can get a different category of license that allows self-loading shotguns, as the self-loading action softens the recoil and may allow you to participate in something you otherwise would not have been available.

    EDIT: More info: You are also allowed to (get a licensed for, and purchase a suitable firearm) openly carry a firearm if you need to transport large amounts of money or expensive items such as banking a lot of money or moving jewelery from a store to somewhere else. I don't know under what circumstances you could use it though, as it would certainly be only self-defense and if someone were to rob you, you would just have to hand over the cash, I'm pretty sure they will take a dim view on you if you use it to shoot someone who is stealing. I think more than anything it acts as a visual deterrent in this nature.
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page