1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S&W Replacement Parts (screws, etc.)

Discussion in 'Handguns: Revolvers' started by 6Gunslinger, May 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6Gunslinger

    6Gunslinger Member

    Jan 23, 2007
    Las Vegas
    do you guys know if I can get replacement screws and possibly a sideplate from S&W without having to send the gun in?

    It looks like the previous owner of my 640 didn't have the right screwdriver for the screws, and may have also tried to pry up the sideplate! :eek: Its not too bad, but I'm meticulous so I'd like to get replacements. I checked Brownells but I can't seem to find the right part # for my 640 (no dash, SS)
  2. DragonFire

    DragonFire Member

    May 26, 2004
    Call or email Brownells. A rep should be able to give you the right part numbers if they carry them.

    So can get parts directly from S&W, though they may be on the expensive side. Again, I'd advise calling customer service.

    Some gunsmiths also carry replacement screws, and maybe they can order a sideplate as well.
  3. SigfanUSAF

    SigfanUSAF Member

    Aug 26, 2006
    North Carolina
    A replacement sideplate will need to be fitted to the gun, it can be a lot of work.
  4. dfariswheel

    dfariswheel Member

    Dec 26, 2002
    Fitting a new side plate is a factory only job.

    The reason is, the plate is hand fitted at the factory, then is final polished while on the frame.
    The problem with attempting to fit one later is, the plate will either be high or too low on the frame, and won't match up. In other words, it'll either be sunk into the frame or will be standing up above the frame.
    In either case, you'd have a ledge all around the plate.

    What you can do is talk to S&W. They can either repair the original plate, or fit a new one to factory standards.

    For screws, you first determine what model and "dash" version your gun is.
    This will be stamped on the frame, where the cylinder yoke seats.
    As example, if you have a 686, the frame will be marked with either "686" or a modification version: "686-2" etc.

    Once you know the model and version, simply contact Brownell's or S&W and they can get you the right parts.
    If you let S&W repair the side plate, they'll also fit new screws.
  5. PotatoJudge

    PotatoJudge Member

    Nov 17, 2005
    No telling what the old owner did after he buggered up the screws and pried the sideplate off. It'd be worthwhile to send it to S&W for the work so they can check it out for any other problems he may have caused.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page