Quantcast
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USA: "Ban Aid: The real point of the 'assault weapon' law"

Discussion in 'Legal' started by cuchulainn, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuchulainn

    cuchulainn Member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Messages:
    3,297
    Location:
    Looking for a cow that Queen Meadhbh stole
    from Reason

    http://www.reason.com/sullum/050903.shtml
     
  2. Standing Wolf

    Standing Wolf Member in memoriam

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Messages:
    24,041
    Location:
    Idahohoho, the jolliest state
    The leftist extremists know they can't simply repeal the Second Amendment, so they're attempting to eviscerate it one "reasonable compromise" at a time, one firearms manufacturer at a time, one "safety measure" at a time.
     
  3. Seeker

    Seeker Member

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2002
    Messages:
    137
    Location:
    Lacomb, Oregon
    Just stumbled across this article over at reason.com, and checked to see if it had already been posted before creating a new thread, ,and thought the last paragraph said the most.


     
  4. txgolfer45

    txgolfer45 Member

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2002
    Messages:
    679
    Location:
    Texas
    The VPC is a chicken S*** organization. I asked them in an email about a person's right to defend themselves and their family. Didn't hear one peep from them. They refuse to listen to reason and facts.

    Scott
     
  5. Oleg Volk

    Oleg Volk Moderator Emeritus

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2002
    Messages:
    9,155
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    All these statistics miss the essential detail: even if 90% of something is mis-used, that's not a valid reason to take the remaining 10% from those who don't mis-use the tools. Presumption of innocence, not presumption of guilt...the latter is so soviet...collective responsibility. Ask your favorite gun-banner why they advocate the methods of Stalin and Hitler!
     
  6. Preacherman

    Preacherman Member

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2002
    Messages:
    13,309
    Location:
    Louisiana, USA
    Another factor (as already seen in Washington state with "weapons of mass destruction"): if you legally ban "assault weapons", you have a definition of an "assault weapon" on the books, written in stone, binding on the courts. If you later introduce legislation to re-define an assault weapon, you can do almost anything you want, without "passing new anti-gun legislation". How about defining a revolver as an assault weapon? A pistol? A single-shot NEF shotgun? Once "assault weapons" are banned, all you have to do is to attach the "assault weapon" label to what you want to ban, and you've achieved your objective.

    Always suspect a politician who claims to be acting in the interests of the people!
     
  7. mercedesrules

    mercedesrules Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2003
    Messages:
    1,010
    Attention all "patriots", flag-wavers, voters and jingoists: Read, reread and absorb this statement (with which I whole-heartedly agree).

    MR
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page