What all does bottom metal really include?

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by LRShooting, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LRShooting

    LRShooting Member

    Jan 10, 2014
    So, I just posted about Boyd's gun stocks. I kinda pulled the trigger a little early cause I read down and realized you have to modify the gun since mine is a savage trophy hunter xp. Alls it takes is bottom metal, but I don't wanna spend 200-400$ on bottom metal on a 480 dollar gun. It'd be kinda lame to have a 99 dollar stock and then have to spend $200+ just to make it fit. -_- Any suggestions?

    Update: Its a model 11. Also, i didnt actually buy it, i meant i got too quick and started planning on gettibg it. I realize a couple guys said old stock was fine, but i am replacing it for rigidity reasons. Bipod is a no-go and shooting on the fly is difficult because of the flex of factory stock. It wouldnt matter if i wasnt a accuracy nut, but the POI changes when stock flexs into the barrel (freefloated stock). It has detach mag. I found a bottom metal from PTG for 168, 128 if i get no-bolt release.

    Heres the pictures so you can see what I mean. I understand I didn't explain clearly so my fault on that. Hopefully this helps. I basically have narrowed it down to a Boyd TactiCool stock and PTG savage bottom metal. I think I understand now though. I posted this before I had done any thorough research. I like the idea of 5 or 10 rnd ACIS Mags with the PTG DBM.

    Bottom Metal-http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage%20performance.htm

    Attached Files:

    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. jmr40

    jmr40 Member

    May 26, 2007
    Return the stock. Use the money to buy more ammo. The stock you have now is fine.
  3. W L Johnson

    W L Johnson Member

    Jun 16, 2008
  4. jpwilly

    jpwilly Member

    Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Need more info: do you have an mod 11 or 111? Have you called Savage Arms Parts to see what they sell the bottom metal for? Does your plastic stock have a removable magazine or integral? Post up a picture and give more info if you want better advise your description doesn't tell us much.
  5. LAGS

    LAGS Member

    Nov 12, 2013
    Mesa Arizona
    I have to agree with JPWilly
    We need to see what you have, and what you are trying to do.
    The Bottom metal is usually the Bottom plate to the magazine and the Magazine box.
    But esentually you are saying , Your Model rifle, has a Solid bottom on your stock, and the new stock is cut thru for a detachable magazine, or a hinged floorplate.
  6. taliv

    taliv Moderator Staff Member

    Oct 23, 2004
    bottom metal also includes typically the trigger guard and housing. the typical reason to change it is to convert a blind magazine to a detachable box magazine like the PTG
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice