Discussion in 'Handloading and Reloading' started by James THR, Aug 28, 2006.
When working the kinks out of a vibratory ramp to loading primer tubes, I came up with a overflow for the primers and a switch gate to alternate between tubes. If the operator got distracted, the overflow ran the primers into a catch basin that was larger than the capacity of the vibrator.
Bullets dropped nose first into loading tubes from the vibrating ramps, and the operators had to invert the tubes to put them into the sizer. Since the tubes were about 4 feet long, it was a chore. I came up with a little water wheel gizmo to feed directly from the vibrating ramps into the sizer, eliminating the tubes completely. Bullets dropped into a chamber on the wheel, and it rotated slowly to fill a stationary tube on the sizer - with a limit switch that would shut off the wheel when the tube was full.
I see today there's a thing called a bulge buster. Have not the need these days, so have not tried one. Back in the day, when I loaded 9mm range brass on an AmmoCrafter, I had our ace-in-the-hole machinist rework the carbide die, and shell plate for the AmmoCrafter. He was able to shorten the carbide sizer to eliminate most of the feed-in bell on the carbide insert. Then we reworked the shell plates to eliminate some of the space above the groove on the case, effectively pushing the case further into a die that had been reworked to "squeeze more". That got our jams from bulged cases down to almost (but not quite) nothin'. The 9's were the worst. That tapered case smears brass down every time you size one, and at the time, people were going thru all sorts of efforts to get hollow points to feed on ramps designed for full metal jackets - a lot of bubba ramps with some bulging there too. Some of you may remember the ramps with a hump in the middle on High Power's and some of the S&W 39/59 barrels among others.
Not my idea, but our machine expert had a welder he knew fire up some beads on the end of screws that we could put in a vice grip that had been threaded and reworked. The bead was to set the flange on the old Millet sights, and get away from their ridiculous tool.
There were lots of little things in the shop that grew out of frustration or just the need for something that was too damn expensive, or worse, expensive and not made worth a damn on the "commercial" market.
For pouring powder a short wide funnel is very handy. The short taper helps to prevent overfilling and the wide opening is perfect for pouring from 4/8 pound powder jugs. Mine is made by Rhino, but it looks like it now made by Hopkins, their 10703 FloTool Spill Saver Radiator Funnel is the same thing.
Same as the one I use.
No muss,no fuss.
If one looks in the upper right hand corner of this screenshot of my reloading "bench", there is a wrist pin of a large engine piston and connecting rod.
When I inherited my Dad's reloading stuff almost 28 years ago, I had no idea why this heavy piece of metal was in the cabinet........
Well, I have figured out two very good uses for it.
#1. Makes a good backstop for a kinetic hammer!
#2. The ends are perfectly flat so it does make an easy, quick check to insure primers are set flush or below! (Set primed cartridge on it, duh...)
Rest in peace, Dad!!!
In order to keep my rows straight I’ll fold the paper as shown. A lot quicker than trying to use a ruler.
I use a spirit level to make sure it’s plumb when I hang it. That’s important when using the OCW (OCD? )method as you’re looking for group center deviation from your point of aim
@BWS, thanks for this. I have a small Dremel vise that I hadn't found a recent use for. You've given me the idea to use it to hold my tube micrometer.
I got this from a friend who got it from a PH in Africa.
Bore brush protector/ bore guide.
Keeps your brushes clean in the bottom of your possibles bag and already marked for caliber.
Started life as a way to tote a cpl shotguns,and boxes of clays down into the woods behind the house. Using a hand thrower,we used to have too much fun creating super realistic "woods clays".
It's missing an old crate that goes on the bttm.
It sat on the back porch,sorta neglected? and then a surf fishing trip got planned. So I modified it slightly to be used in the horizontal, a modest sized cooler fits on it,gun holders got swapped out for rod holders....
Made the big rectangle frame a while back to be used as an expedient paper frame for shotgun patterns.... never finished it. Well,got it done this a.m. to use as a paper holder for paper tuning bows/arrows. Already used it.... moved it out to blast it with a pressure washer. Figured,what the hay... take a pic and post it.
I ouch the primer pocket over the reamer and bump the switch for just a split second and let off. After I got the knack of it I can do several in short order. Every piece of brass crimped or not goes through the process.
CHEAP) was fish an IDPA cardboard target out of the trash at the range and used it to spray up targets on "Blue Hawk" Lowe's drop paper roll. I found a piece of 1/4 ply in the shop and traced the cardboard onto it and cut it out, and now have a plywood template to spray the negative on the paper. They work great for my needs.
Separate names with a comma.