1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is it?

Discussion in 'General Gun Discussions' started by Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow

    Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow member

    Nov 14, 2007
    "Color case"


    "Case color"

  2. Aguila Blanca

    Aguila Blanca Member

    Sep 1, 2006
    It should be color case hardening, because it refers to (or did, originally) the mottled color that resulted from the case hardening process.

    Today, a lot of what is marketed as color case hardening isn't actually a result of case hardening at all, it's just an applied finish. In fact, I think I've seen some ads in which the finish is referred to simply as "color case," which is certainly in innovative way to convey a lie without telling a lie.
  3. Duke Junior

    Duke Junior member

    Aug 11, 2008
    Cherokee County,North Carolina
  4. Loomis

    Loomis member

    Aug 10, 2008
    Case hardening is when a piece of steel only has it's very outer "skin" hardened. This skin is called the "case". The most basic form of case hardening(that I know of) is flame hardening. that's when you heat the surface up very hot with a flame, then cool it fast with water or oil, simply by blowing air on it.

    "Color" case hardening is when the piece of metal is heated up very hot then packed in something that contains high amounts of carbon, and let cool while packed in this carbon containing material. The metal literally "soaks up" the carbon and the outer skin of the metal piece becomes hardened high carbon steel. In the process, the surface of the metal gets that multi colored swirled rainbow like sheen like you see when a really thin film of oil floats on water.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page