I'm struck by your post as when we were kids my older brother chewed off the paint around the seat of all the kitchen chairs, all of them. Lead paint. And I can't imagine all the times we used lead paint during our childhood, as well as casting lead sinkers up in our poorly ventilated basement for our dad for when we went fishing. When my brother was drafted in 1969 the Army offered him West Point because of his ASVAB scores. Highly unusual really, especially as he had gotten married just before he was drafted. Apparently his scores were high enough they would ignore his being married. He declined and did his two years. Oh, then there is my grandfather who was wounded in WWI and spent his whole working life as a Steam Fitter working with asbestos and molten lead and died at 92. The point however is apparently lead isn't deadly poison to everybody.