1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wood Grips

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing and Repairs' started by Old&Slow, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old&Slow

    Old&Slow Member

    May 17, 2004
    I`m new here so sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, or it`a a dumb question.

    Just got a pair of wood grips that have super fine diamond checkering on them, maybe 1/2 the size of the usual ones I have .

    How do you define checkering on grips and does anyone know who makes such super fine checkered wood grips ?

  2. Standing Wolf

    Standing Wolf Member in memoriam

    Dec 24, 2002
    Idahohoho, the jolliest state
    If they're made of wood or ivory, they're known as "stocks." If they're made of plastic or rubber, they're known as "grips."

    Nobody ever said English was an easy language.

    Checkering is usually measured in lines per inch. Count the ridges—or valleys—at a 90° angle across one side or angle of the checkering. Very fine, high quality checkering is hard to find any more. The good folks at http://www.herrett-stocks.com do a pretty good job, although I'm not sure they do very fine checkering.
  3. Sunray

    Sunray Member

    May 17, 2003
    London, Ont.
    "...define checkering on grips..." It's the number of lines per inch. Your grips(they're grips to me too. A stock goes on a rifle or shotgun) sound like they may have been custom made. Checkering is a talent and it takes good wood to get good checkering. The tools aren't terribly expensive either.
    And the only dumb question is the one not asked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page