Quantcast

Zastava M77 PS 308- reviews?

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by chestnut ridge, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chestnut ridge

    chestnut ridge Member

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2005
    Messages:
    321
    Location:
    south central Tennessee
    I see century has these for 500 with two 10rd mags.
    Any one making 20 rd mags? I read somewhere about
    converting m-14 mags. Anyone have opinions on this rifle?
     
  2. dvdcrr

    dvdcrr member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,285
    They look good to go to me and I have read good things. I dont think youll be disappointed if you understand going in that its probly a 3moa rifle maybe a little better.
     
  3. HankC

    HankC Member

    Joined:
    May 8, 2005
    Messages:
    1,316
    Location:
    SW Ohio
    It is Century February Special price. It got my attention too! Buds' still have it for $599 and here is some discussions at the link below. I like the adjustable gas system. I would jump on it if the barrel is heavier, it looks just like standard AK barrel diameter!:(
    http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137204&page=2
     
  4. FullMetalJckt

    FullMetalJckt Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Messages:
    30
    IMHO

    I bought one last year in Dec. It was best $600 I have spent on a Rifle.

    Pros:
    -You get 308 class power for cheap:D
    -light weight compared to AR-10 style rifles (8-10 Lbs, depending on load-out)
    -Capable of 1.5 to 2 MOA with Tulammo*
    -adjustable gas system (for me setting it to '1' with Tulammo worked best)
    -easily converted to a rifle Kalashnikov would be proud of!
    - Barrel is already threaded 14-1 LH thread
    -takes Yugo style folding stocks and telescoping stocks
    -Yugo style fore-grips work
    -Scope mounts readily available**
    -takes standard AK pistol grips

    *this is an AK, it shoots better dirty; In my experience the rifle is more accurate when I do not clean it.
    ** A modification can be done to a UTG AK mount to make it work


    Cons:
    -magazines not easy to come buy (Pun intended):(
    -magazines can be made from M14, Galili, etc mags; but not easily (takes 2-3 hours of fine tuning to get the feed lips right)
    -Stock mount will have a gap unless you fab something to fill it (I'll post how sometime later)
    - Beats the HELL outa' scopes:evil: (I've torn up 1 scope to date, a Barska, on this rifle; and 3 others on a Saiga 7.62x39 variant)

    Future plans:
    -Buy a Vepr and Saiga 308 mags and try to make 'em work! Will post results later.
    -Find a decent $150-$200 scope that will last on it.
    -Try it out at distance (to 800 yards); I've shot it at 300 yards and was able to maintain 2-3 MOA off of shooting sticks. Really need to get a good scope:(

    I will keep ya'll posted:cool:

    FullMetalJckt
    Romans 1:21-32. What would you trade for the Truth. -|--
     
  5. dvdcrr

    dvdcrr member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,285
    Might be a nice rifle, but I am almost certain it is not a 1.5-2moa shooter. Show me three consecutive three shot groups measuring 2" or less at 100 yds and I'll believe it. More importantly, how far does it scatter the first shot from the second and third. How many inches does the poi shift when the barrel gets warm. These are all problems common to ak pattern rifles.
     
  6. powder

    powder member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2012
    Messages:
    792
    Location:
    Midwest
    I had that problem with an older SKS Norinco, but not with my Zastava.
     
  7. dvdcrr

    dvdcrr member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,285
    Personally I have shot ak style rifles over the years, and found that groups are frustrating, you will get 80% of the shots to go 2 moa or better, then the other 20% open the group by as much as double. I suppose the important thing is whether you can rely on hitting with the first shot.
     
  8. dvdcrr

    dvdcrr member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1,285
    FMJ if you want a cheap scope that will hold up on it try Weaver. Mine held up on a vepr 308.
     
  9. FullMetalJckt

    FullMetalJckt Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Messages:
    30
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice