1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AK Receiver replacment?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing and Repairs' started by mechdriver, Nov 6, 2006.

  1. mechdriver

    mechdriver New Member

    Mar 24, 2006
    North Carolina
    If a receiver of an AK-47 wears out, as has been reported on some poorly tempered receivers, Can the receiver be replaced legally with the same numbers as on the original? For instance, can you purchase an unnumbered receiver and stamp the numbers from the worn out receiver onto the new one. Would this require a gunsmith with some sort of manufacturing license or would this be legal for the owner of the gun to do?

    If this has already been addressed here, please direct me to the post.

  2. Spartacus451

    Spartacus451 Member

    Jul 17, 2006
    You can legally replace the receiver, you can't just get a complete receiver and stamp the numbers on it. A completely machined receiver is legally considered a firearm and must be transferred through an FFL, if you buy one completed it will have it's own serial number (some machine shops that sell bare receivers will let you pick the number). You can buy an %80 receiver through the mail that is not completely finished and then finish it yourself and use it to replace the worn receiver. Check the laws in your area before doing so.

    I wouldn't worry about it with an AK, it would cost more money to replace the receiver then it would to buy a new AK. Just shoot it till it doesn't shoot anymore.

Share This Page