1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Issues Bringing Firearms Into NY State To Shoot

Discussion in 'Legal' started by w1smc, Feb 2, 2011.

  1. w1smc

    w1smc Member

    I live in Virginia …... excuse me ….. The Great State of Virginia, and I was thinking of heading up to Ft. Drum in upstate NY (in the spring) and visit my oldest son who is a Sgt in the Army.

    While there I was also thinking about doing some shooting with him.

    At the very least I'd like to introduce my son Dave to my (his future) SOCOM 16 and also my HK45C if I can.

    Anyone on the forum from NY state that can enlighten me on any legal issues I need to be aware of?

    Thanks for any help on this.

    Semper Fi
  2. mp510

    mp510 Well-Known Member

    The M1A may or may not be legal for you to bring. You can bring it as long as it is an AWB compliant configuration and your mags all hold 10 (or less) OR were made before 13 SEP 1994.

    The HK pistol is a no-go. You don't have an NYS pistol permit and (effectively) can't get one as a non-resident.
  3. wnycollector

    wnycollector Well-Known Member

    From a NYers point of view, MP510 summarized your options very well.
  4. w1smc

    w1smc Member

    Thanks For The Help ....

    After looking into it more myself it's not really worth the effort or bother for me to go up there with my guns.

    My son will be down here for a visit soon enough and we can go shooting in VA.

    What a complete bunch of crap though ....

    I guess I've seen too many John Wayne, Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea westerns to believe I couldn't take or shoot my weapons anywhere in the US.

    My other kids live is Massachusetts ...... so I won't be going there with my guns either.

    Only in America!
  5. Prince Yamato

    Prince Yamato Well-Known Member

    Why not? Just get a non-resident permit and bring all your AWB-compliant goodies.
  6. bobbo

    bobbo Member.

    Then don't get caught driving there... as you'll have to go through NY. It's a D-class felony to have an AWB-illegal weapon here, and a separate D-class felony for each magazine over 10 rounds. BTW, a D-class felony is what you get for selling a POUND of marijuana to an undercover cop in this state.
  7. Ohio Gun Guy

    Ohio Gun Guy Well-Known Member

    Would interstate transportation laws cover simply traveling through......?
  8. Quiet

    Quiet Well-Known Member

    It does not protect you from arrest.

    It protects you while you are going through the legal system; after you have been arrested and your firearms confiscated.
  9. Prince Yamato

    Prince Yamato Well-Known Member

    Provided that you have a Class A firearms permit and your weapons are ban COMPLIANT you will be OK to bring them into Massachusetts. If you are driving through NYS, the weapons need to be locked and unloaded in the trunk of the car.

    It's actually not impossible to bring guns into MA.
  10. zoom6zoom

    zoom6zoom Well-Known Member

    Mass. has made the non-res permit as hard as possible to get. It currently requires an in-person interview, meaning you need to make a trip there before you can get a permit issued. You must have taken a class from a Mass. certified instructor. The permit is only good for a year and costs $100. I have not been able to confirm it, but it appears that renewal requires retaking the class, and may require a new interview.

Share This Page