1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

buying MG in state VS out of state

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by Brockak47, Dec 24, 2012.

  1. Brockak47

    Brockak47 Well-Known Member

    I am in the market for a M11/9 I can't find what I want in state, what is the difference between buying one in state vs out of state?

  2. AlexanderA

    AlexanderA Well-Known Member

    If you buy in state it's one $200 transfer (and one wait). Out of state, you have to have it transferred to an FFL/SOT in your state first, and then it's transferred to you. If the out-of-state seller is an FFL/SOT, it goes to your FFL/SOT tax-free on a Form 3, otherwise it's tax-paid on a Form 4. So you could have one $200 transfer, or two $200 transfers, depending on the circumstances. There would be two waits in any case. An M11/9 is not a C&R, so you can't use the C&R license route to eliminate one of the transfers.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  3. Flyincedar

    Flyincedar Well-Known Member

    You shouldn't have a reason to have two. If the dealer you plan to use is not an SOT, find one that is. The only way a non SOT could do it would be to transfer it to them on a Form 4, which means they own it. Its also about a 6 month wait. Then you gotta have t transferred to you, which is another 6 months. That would be a ridiculous route to go with it.

    Our Form 3 transfers, dealer to dealer are running on average 30 days right now. Have the seller transfer it on a form 3, and then transfer it to you on a form 4.

    There may be different things I am not thinking of as well, as I do not handle the paperwork for our shop
  4. AlexanderA

    AlexanderA Well-Known Member

    Form 3 tax-exempt transfers are only dealer-to-dealer. If the out-of-state original seller is a non-dealer (individual or trust, it doesn't matter), the transfer to the buyer's in-state dealer is done on a tax-paid Form 4. Then a second Form 4 tax-paid transfer is required from the in-state dealer to the buyer.
  5. Flyincedar

    Flyincedar Well-Known Member

    I didn't even take into account it coming from a non dealer. Good point.
  6. Brockak47

    Brockak47 Well-Known Member

    So if I buy from a class III dealer from out of state I should be just as good as buying one in state?

    I am hoping to get it transferred either way to Scottsdale gun club or another dealer seller that has a range so I can shoot it there while I'm waiting for it to transfer to my possession
  7. Jim K

    Jim K Well-Known Member

    If the buyer has a C&R license, and the item is a C&R (say a WWII STEN), the out of state seller can take/ship it to the buyer directly, without going through any Class 3 dealer. (The transfer tax must be paid, though, and the Form 4 approved.)

  8. Flyincedar

    Flyincedar Well-Known Member

    Yes, buying from a dealer is almost the same, except you'll have to pay, then wait 30 days or so for the Form 3 to be approved for transfer to your dealer, then it can be shipped. Once it arrives, you can do your Form 4 and start the wait

Share This Page