1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suppressor across state lines?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by berettaprofessor, Jul 25, 2011.

  1. berettaprofessor

    berettaprofessor Well-Known Member

    I tried to search this on this forum and elsewhere, but couldn't find the answer. If you own a legal 22LR suppressor in Kansas, does anyone know if it would be legal to take it to shoot at a range in Nebraska (I work up there occasionally) or in Colorado (son there)? Thanks.
  2. Zak Smith

    Zak Smith Moderator Staff Member

    As long as you abide the respective state laws, you can take it. Form 5320.20 is not required for silencers.
  3. jmorris

    jmorris Well-Known Member

    Above and I will add that I contact State police where I am crossing/going and get a comfirmation "OK" along with direct number of the LEO that I have spoken with and they remain in my cell phone from that point on.
  4. berettaprofessor

    berettaprofessor Well-Known Member

    Interesting responses. I asked the same question of my Class III dealer yesterday when I picked up the silencer and was told that I had to notify the ATF in writing each and every time I took it out of state and that it would approved only for a specific time period and location. The guy seems pretty knowledgeable about the Class III stuff so is he wrong about this one?
  5. Prince Yamato

    Prince Yamato Well-Known Member

    For silencers and aow, you only need to notify ATF if you are permanently relocating them.
  6. berettaprofessor

    berettaprofessor Well-Known Member

    So, thanks to Mr. Smith, I looked for awhile on the ATF website itself and found the 5320.20 form and the following:

    "A person, other than an FFL/SOT, may not lawfully transport in interstate or foreign commerce any destructive device, machinegun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, without prior written approval of ATF, specifically the NFA Branch.214 For definitions of these firearms and
    devices, refer to 27 CFR 478.11."

    Referring to 27 CFR 478.11, the definitions of these devices appear to leave silencers out...so I think Zak is right, but I'm a little nervous relying on my probably poor interpretation of BATFE regulations.

    It'd be so much nice if they put in bold red print "SUPPRESSORS/SILENCERS DO NOT REQUIRE PRIOR WRITTEN APPROVAL FOR TRANSPORT" !!!:rolleyes: Maybe in the next re-write to try to make things more understandable for dummies.
  7. Zak Smith

    Zak Smith Moderator Staff Member

    And by the way, for the rest of the NFA items, you can submit 5320.20's with a range of dates on them. I typically submit a batch at the beginning of the year if I need to take privately-owned NFA items other than silencers on trips.

Share This Page