Quantcast

CAA GEAR Micro Roni Stabilizer: Suppressor Host Mod

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by CDR_Glock, Jan 2, 2019.

  1. CDR_Glock

    CDR_Glock Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    623
    Location:
    Virginia
    Recently, I wanted to modify the CAA Gear Roni Micro Stabilizer for Suppressor use.

    The opening of the enclosure was too narrow for a Can on a standard Glock 19.

    I have seen people cut the plastic opening. Not something I wanted to do.

    Thanks to Solscud a Youtuber and reviewer, and LOS from AR15DotCom suggesting some mods, I did what I did.

    I acquired a 10” threaded barrel from YRS, Inc, by IGB Austria. It protrudes beyond the Roni frame for my Suppressor.

    In summary, I tried different brands of ammo, but the Roni as it stood, was not working with the suppressor. I was getting FTE after FTE. It was OK without a can (limited test of 10 with 1 FTE)...

    I initially changed the Guide rods and spring, thinking the higher power spring was creating resistance causing the FTE. I saw a YouTube video of someone with a 16” using the mod which appeared to work. But again, FTE after FTE so back to the drawing board.

    I ended up cutting the Concussion device as was suggested, as the barrel was contacting it. I could see a small segment of wear on the top margin of the barrel.

    feae073056000fb34d06de524b6ed834.jpg


    fdd9793aea48b764264cd94008323fcf.jpg


    You see the rub point on the dorsal barrel margin.


    9c6db09e7d312fdb0f4131ffdb16f797.jpg


    I took off the excess steel, but questions were raised if the barrel would still contact the concussion device.


    d0e3ec706aaad10c9cc56c53f6950394.jpg

    22c7b282f5aa7fd27cb79f02e40692de.jpg


    It was not pretty, either.


    d06cdbcc859c5cddc7283e94b886171f.jpg


    I mounted it onto my Bench vise and I let the dremel have its way. Because of the protruding end of the Concussion device I was just going to cut it first, then trim the edges.


    2e1a1fc5fdd3550f076adde7c14605d6.jpg


    b5a62f50619241179490469c5ed15d41.jpg


    I sanded and polished the near finished piece.


    8a9729020a0fa7fc180c473b7de0f2fc.jpg


    a3a1ca18306a99cf76e9cb1b774adc9d.jpg


    The daunting task of reassembly was intimidating.


    d231af659eb081ccb07a4109be01a6ef.jpg


    Because the rail screws did not loosen I did not bother removing them.


    I placed the detent spring of the rail release and pushed the parts together, and I hammered with a plastic mallet.


    93b4cb2399c6e652fafa666a803e5c4d.jpg


    01e66c3503352561365a9856a0dad127.jpg


    The rest was easy


    ea2cf143dbc949c9a1a2b43d2736047d.jpg


    I now have clearance for the barrel.


    91e47678f5352537d9011c4c8a2e698d.jpg


    2276bafc9c31700255eb5d6091b6c17a.jpg


    So I went from this:


    879aa59aa7c6e13088b3248e703e870b.jpg


    To this:


    b7c21fb9b55768da433555a5cdac1c2e.jpg



    Instagram : MuzzleblastMD
     
  2. MachIVshooter

    MachIVshooter Member

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2005
    Messages:
    16,325
    Location:
    Elbert County, CO
    Did you try it again yet?

    We have had very poor success with the Micro Roni and suppressors. I recommend the Mechtech uppers when people ask about suppressed Glock carbines. Not much more expensive and turn the gun into fixed barrel straight blowback, which doesn't care about suppressor weight or backpressure
     
  3. CDR_Glock

    CDR_Glock Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    623
    Location:
    Virginia
    I just did the work last night. I’m going to try it after work today.
     
  4. CDR_Glock

    CDR_Glock Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    623
    Location:
    Virginia
    It worked apart from the slide not returning to battery by a few mm. I have 13# springs in it. I think I’ll go back to factory springs and try again, tomorrow.
     
  5. CDR_Glock

    CDR_Glock Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    623
    Location:
    Virginia
    Well, I cut it down to this.


    I still had some failures to eject. I used Lawman 147 grain, Brass.


    I had 4 shots work in a row, though, right from the start.


    Then I had 2 in a row, followed by 3.


    It didn’t feed aluminum cases, though. Blazer Brass 147 grain.


    It had FTE for PMC 115 gr Brass...


    b2c5cdb3623f76dd340fb1af855705a3.jpg 9a5eac86c0d873c178faf7ca3e0b6ca9.jpg edd9836deb2d84a21ba3c4e8842f7143.jpg



    bd556f08f97a5c3302ba9d3f2734d713.jpg 3bb1bb09d618ff2f206f25b6ea3f7253.jpg

    ====

    After that trial, I had to rethink what to do.


    So, I did the following:


    I used a Dremel to open the port of the Roni, and I also widened the Concussion device or aluminum muzzle of the enclosure.


    I cleaned the suppressor using my ultrasonic cleaned, and I used lithium grease/Teflon.


    I lubricated the Glock, and I used a 15# recoil spring.

    Here’s the video:

    https://instagram.com/p/BsbJxiGnzv_/
     
  6. CDR_Glock

    CDR_Glock Member

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2010
    Messages:
    623
    Location:
    Virginia
    As an update I tried a couple of different rounds of ammo. Fiocchi 158 gr and Lawman 147 gr.

    My friend shot it in the video.

    The sound of Fiocchi from a 10” barrel is much quieter than a 147 gr.

    https://instagram.com/p/Bs8_vtlH-QY/

    I did do a rapid fire 10 round run but I didn’t record it, unfortunately. It did run without an issue.

    I have not seen an IMI Kidon Suppressed, so I will try my hand at making it work.

    As for an actual PDW, I’m going to do a CZ SCORPION.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice