Canadian gun laws

Not open for further replies.

sixgun MAK

Dec 10, 2006
If a US citizen is going to drive through Canada in route to Alaska, is he allowed to transport handguns in the vehicle?
Yep... provided he files/has/completes the proper Canadian-required paperwork. At least, if memory serves. Someone with experience or knowledge will clarify, but it is also a subject that has been discussed here with regularity. I've personally traveled into British Columbia a few times to shoot at a trap field in Nelson, but all we had were long guns, and I was fairly young and not in charge.:D
Did I mention how much I hate those Frenchie liberal kaweers!

I say point the missles north!
Here's the Firearms Declaration Form that you'll submit to the consular.
Canada allows the import of ammuntion for personal use.

In the past, the import of hollow-point ammunition labelled for use in handguns required written authorization from Natural Resources Canada. This requirement has now been dropped.

Specifically military ammunition such as armor-piercing, incendiary, tracer, etc. is also strictly verboten by Canada Customs.

Non-residents can import up to 200 rounds duty-free; this limit is raised to 1500 rounds duty-free for use at a competition. To negotiate the import of larger amount of ammunition, contact the Exposives Regulatory Division of Natural Resources Canada at +1 (613) 943-0206.

If you have a PAL, you can readily purchase ammunition in Canada, although prices are slightly higher than in the US.

My experience is that Customs is not generally concerned about ammunition as long as your paperwork is in order for the firearms. Make sure that it is packed separately from the firearms in your vehicle, and out of sight. However, make sure that Customs will find it right away if they do a vehicle search; they will look for it, and if you give them the impression that you're hiding something you may end up with a disassembled vehicle.
It *is* possible for US citizens to lawfully transport handguns thru Canada, but the necessary groundwork and related paperwork is realisticaly too demanding for any except the *very* dedicated. Plan on innocuous long guns if at all possible. Suggest lawfully shipping any handguns to your Alaska destination instead. I'll bet there are a few FFL's in Alaska who can help you with such matters.

I *highly* recommend this very well researched web page for your consideration:
You can transport some handguns through Canada legally. Handguns classified as "prohibited firearms" may not be transported into Canada, per the RCMP form linked upthread.

A prohibited firearm is:
- A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.
- A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.
- A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26
inches) in overall length.
- A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than
457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26
inches) or more.
- An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.
- Any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

It would probably easier to just ship the guns to yourself c/o your destination than to deal with Canadian Customs. You may ship guns to yourself interstate without going through an FFL, per the ATF.
Not open for further replies.