1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About to buy a pistol..

Discussion in 'Legal' started by Dumptruck, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. Dumptruck

    Dumptruck New Member

    Mar 15, 2008
    ....and I need to ask a question or two. I have purchased firearms before (including two pistols). I recently moved into a new house and did the change of address.

    However, I have not had a chance to make it to the DMV to change the address on my drivers license. Will there be an issue if I put my new home address on the forms and then end up showing a drivers license with my old address on it?
  2. mgkdrgn

    mgkdrgn Senior Member

    Jul 21, 2008
    Lexington, SC
    You could end up with a delay, yes. Might as well get the DMV thing done and avoid the hassle, right? If you were coming to me for a transfer, I'd make you cough up something "official" that had the correct address on it before I'd risk my license.
  3. gunlaw

    gunlaw Member

    May 16, 2009
    I had a similar problem when I applied for my ccw. The St. Louis county police dept accepted a current utility bill as proof of residency. yea i was suprised.
  4. Proinsias

    Proinsias New Member

    Aug 17, 2008
    Depends on your state. Some make you get a completely new license every time you move, some don't care. If the latter, then the DMV sometimes offers a card you carry with your license that has the new address. That might work when you buy. Check with the FFL first.
  5. TheFallGuy

    TheFallGuy New Member

    May 27, 2009
    The FFL will probably say no go as has happened to me in the past. Just get it fixed and be on your way. Most states will give you a piece of paper to accompany you license and then you are gold. Last time I moved it was $8 for a duplicate and I got the paper on the spot. Why not just get it done? If the paper accompanies your old ID-it's valid and the FFL can't turn it down.
  6. ChCx2744

    ChCx2744 Participating Member

    Sep 12, 2008
    All they made me do was go to the tackle shop and buy a one day fishing license with my current address on it. They do that because they need "SOMETHING" government issued with your valid address on it. Now I just use my paystubs and black out the important information, because I'm a government employee :)

    Also, if you have GEICO insurance, you can use your policy documents too, as long as the address is current; Even if you are not a governement employee, technically, GEICO insurance is for government employee, hence what it stands for Government Employee Insurance Company. :D
  7. bondmid003

    bondmid003 New Member

    Feb 18, 2009
    Not sure where you're at but Florida was pretty sticky about you having the right address on your license (i.e. take the time to go get a new one)

Share This Page