1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

explain the AR style rifle to me please

Discussion in 'Rifle Country' started by Bezoar, Jul 23, 2007.

  1. Bezoar

    Bezoar member

    I am confused on it, im just used to knowing it comes in .223 with 22lr conversion kits. And the new upper that comes in .50 Beuwolf.

    But i am seeing magazines for ar and m16 chambered in "9mm" in the lastest sportsmanguide shooters catalog. IS this real as in i can get a 9mm ar or is it a really really big screw up by editing?

    And is there a way to get one in 30-06?
  2. cslinger

    cslinger Well-Known Member

    AR15s come in two pieces technically.

    1-An upper receiver that contains the barrel, sights, handguards and upper receiver. This part is not serialized as far as the ATF is concerned and is not considered a gun.

    2-the Lower receiver. This is the part that contains the fire control group/trigger/stock/magazine well. It is considered the gun.

    There are many upper receivers chambered in many calibers that can fit on a standard lower receiver. The key issue is that a magazine can be made to fit the mag well of the lower. Hence no .308/.30-06 etc. on a standard AR15 platform. You can however get uppers in everything from .22, 9mm, .45, .50, .223, .204, 6.8, 6.5 etc.

    There is a company known as COBB that makes a .30-06 AR like rifle.

  3. GigaBuist

    GigaBuist Well-Known Member

  4. Domino

    Domino Well-Known Member

    What you say is true, there are 9mm AR type weapons out there. Bushmaster among others make them...


    The AR-15 is one of the most toyed with weapons out there. I guess that because they have been around soo long that people are always trying to do something crazy with them. :confused:
  5. funfaler

    funfaler Well-Known Member

    The other reason that there are so many options/calibers for the AR platform, is due to the fact that the lower is the serial numbered part, thus the registered part.

    You can purchase the upper receiver, which has the barrel, bolt and bolt carrier, and it just attaches to the lower via a couple of pins. So in essence, you can get a different rifle, and put your lower on it (to use the trigger group, stock and mag well) and this can be mailed right to your door step, no dealer required. Also, the complete upper comes head spaced and ready to go.

    Enjoy the AR, it is a riot.
  6. DMK

    DMK Well-Known Member

    You can't make just any AR shoot 30-06. The round is too long. The conversion uppers that fit regular .223 ARs all shoot shorter rounds that will fit in a standard .223 magwell.

    The ARs that shoot longer rounds (like .308 and rounds in it length) and specially designed and do not interchange with standard .223 ARs at all (except for minor parts and accessories). These ARs are also not generally compatible with each other since they depart from standardized specs in various ways depending on the manufacurer.
  7. jerkface11

    jerkface11 Well-Known Member

    Isn't it Cobb that makes an AR you can change the magwells on so you can use more than one size of magazine? The .30-06 one uses BAR mags.
  8. iamkris

    iamkris Well-Known Member

    No, I think that it is MGR (?) that makes the replaceable magwells
  9. DoubleTapDrew

    DoubleTapDrew Well-Known Member

Share This Page