1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFA items on a C&R

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms and Accessories' started by USAF_Vet, Jul 28, 2011.

  1. USAF_Vet

    USAF_Vet Well-Known Member

    I've been kicking back and forth the idea of getting my C&R FFL.

    Michigan is one of the weird states that allows Full Auto NFA items, but not SBS, SBR or suppressors.

    Hypothetically, what would be the legality of a C&R eligible item like a Mosin Nagant M91/30 that was cut down to an Obrez pistol? Technically, it's a SBR, but also a C&R? Does one trump the other?
  2. Rail Driver

    Rail Driver Well-Known Member

    I'd go with "no sbr". C&R has nothing to do with it.
  3. Telekinesis

    Telekinesis Well-Known Member

    I think C&R only applies to the original form of the weapon. For example, I don't think you can get a fully bubba'd mosin and transfer it as a C&R (though I could be wrong). If you found an original Obrez, I think it would be fine, but I don't think you can manufacture your own and still maintain the C&R status.
  4. BK

    BK Well-Known Member

  5. kingpin008

    kingpin008 Well-Known Member

    As mentioned, the NFA bit supercedes the C&R bit. Sorry. :(
  6. AethelstanAegen

    AethelstanAegen Well-Known Member

    A firearms only retains it's C&R status in it's original configuration. Once you modify the rifle it's technically no longer a C&R.
  7. paintballdude902

    paintballdude902 Well-Known Member

    only some C&R nfa weapons get cr status. there is a list with them on it, i know there are a few winchester trapper models on the list since they had like a 14.5 in barrel.
  8. Ian

    Ian Well-Known Member

    I believe you're thinking of the guns exempted from the NFA for historical reasons. Things like short-barreled lever action rifles, BHPs and C96 Mausers with shoulder stocks, etc. Other C&R guns can also be NFA guns, like the Colt 1918 Vickers I recently bought. It has to be NFA registered because it's a machine gun, but once a transfer is approved it could be shipped interstate to a C&R licensee.
  9. USAF_Vet

    USAF_Vet Well-Known Member

    That is what I figured.

    Yeah, this is really what I was looking at. I'd love to get an original Broom Handle Mauser with the stock, but that would be a SBR. If it is NFA exempt as a C&R, thats a reason for me to get my C&R.
  10. cluttonfred

    cluttonfred Well-Known Member

    If I understand the rules right, you don't need a C&R to own an NFA exempt weapon, only to have it shipped directly to you. If it is NFA exempt, I think you could still have it shipped to your FNGS. Not that I want to discourage you from getting a C&R licence, just putting it into context.
  11. ErikO

    ErikO Well-Known Member

    Yep, C&R really exists to empty your wallet and break the back of your USPS/UPS folks. ;)

    Mine is still pending. :)
  12. Ian

    Ian Well-Known Member

    That's right, Owlnmole - guns determined to be C&R exempt from the NFA can be owned by anyone. You only need a C&R license to have them shipped interstate directly to you.
  13. lonestardiver

    lonestardiver Well-Known Member

    Don't forget the C&R gets you discounts at brownells, midway, graf & sons, etc...
    Mine took 4 weeks door to door.
  14. USAF_Vet

    USAF_Vet Well-Known Member

    Is there a list somewhere of NFA exempt firearms?
  15. zoom6zoom

    zoom6zoom Well-Known Member

    You'll still need the tax stamp for any C&R eligible NFA. The only thing that changes is that you don't have to pay for a transfer through a Class 3 Dealer.
  16. paintballdude902

    paintballdude902 Well-Known Member

    some are exempt from the tax stamp if it predates the nfa

Share This Page